Transmission surgery and swap

tmoore4512

I know I know, it has been done before...so why a new topic? Keep reading...

Recently I swapped in a low mileage RE4R01A and new torque converter into my truck that had lost reverse. It did well for around 500 miles before it totally crapped the bed and lost all gears.

trailer_ride.jpg

So there it goes...winched down in the front and chained in the back...

So for over a year it had sat due to the reverse issue, and was back on the road for less then a month before it died again. Gave me enough time to fab up that fuel can mount in place of the spare, tune the dual band transceiver as well as the CB/SSB...and plan for a trip that I will not be able to attend this Labor Day at WITC Summertown, TN.

To the point:

A search of Craigslist revealed a fellow who had a 2003 Xterra transmission, (listed as 4wd but in reality it was a 2wd) for sale.

Went and did a trade for said item, and brought it back.

The plan:

Dissassemble one of my (gah I have more than one?!) RL4R01A transmissions and remove the output shaft and rear housing.

Strip and rebuild (and adding the Superior Shift Correction kit) the 2003 Xterra RE4R01A (Allegedly HD) transmission with the output shaft and rear housing from the RL4R01A as before removed.

Time willing I will do the work myself, which shouldn't be too bad after reading the FSM A/T portion along with the experience of rebuilding several other transmissions. (350T, 400T and 700R4 GM).

If not, then will take it to a local transmission shop and have them knock it out for me.

I intend to photograph within reason the process and post for your viewing pleasure.

Has anyone done the 2wd to 4wd surgery on our transmissions?

Any input, pitfalls or suggestions? Still putting money back for the master kit and new torque converter...so bring on the discussion.

Edited by Precise1

The stock pathy trans is the RE4R01A, the xterra one uses the same name for some reason...

Curious, why not just find a 4wd xterra one and swap it in? This is what I did, I even used the xterra Torque converter and it all bolted in and works fine. Just to me your route seems like a lot of extra work.

Since you already have everything, I say go for it, I would like to see pics of what it looks like inside.

• Like 1

Steeeeeeeevo is the only guy I can think of that completed a 2wd to 4wd build, but I don't know if he modified his 2wd tranny or just swapped one in.

Personally, I agree with Adam, just find the right tranny and bolt it in...

B

I agree 100% with both of you. I went after the CL transmission because it WAS listed as 4WD but it was actually 2WD.

After some research I decided that since I only had about $150 worth of trade tied up in it, and that the 4WD output shaft and rear housing would bolt right in, I went for it.

Now...here is the weird thing:

According to this post by RJSquirrl http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/25568-re4r01a-hd-transmission-information/

It states that the "HD" RE4R01A has "larger components" or "beefier" per se.

With that said...I made phone calls and went to various shops...

According to everyone I spoke to, the two transmissions are identical in every way...

Even part numbers for rebuild kits are the exact same...with the exception of a letter designation such as:

Rockauto.com

PARTS AUTHORITY Part # MRK6900B (2003 Xterra)
PARTS AUTHORITY Part # MRK6900F (1995 Pathfinder)

I spoke to a sales rep at said website and they were unable to tell me the difference in the two kits. According to him side by side they appeared to be the same size (clutches etc). All of this without actually opening the packages but looking through the plastic blister packs at the parts inside.

So now...I am curious, where did this information that RJSquirrl posted originally come from?
Did I just shoot myself in the foot...? Should I just rebuild one of the 2 95 Pathfinder RE4R01A transmissions and resell the Xterra trans since according to everyone I have spoken to...they are the same?

Confusing why they would put an "HD model trans" with the same name in a truck...sales ploy?

Pictures to follow when I get off shift and back home...

I don't know exactly what the differences are but I can say that xterras don't have the common no reverse issue, and I've noticed it doesn't have the quirky shift characteristics the wd21 transmission has. If you look in the fsm it apparently shows the difference.

Here are the promised pictures of the 2003 Xterra 2WD trans...I dont have the 95 Pathfinder trans here in my garage to take pictures of...one is in the truck the other in the bed of another truck.
03x_trans.jpg
Clearly 2WD
03x_transtab.jpg
Here is the Jatco tab...
rightside_03x.jpg

This is why he told me it was a "4WD"
inputshaft_03x.jpg
And here is the input shaft side...

Will take pictures of the Pathfinder trans when I go back on shift this evening. It is across the county...

Adam, I know what you are saying, just curious why the rebuild parts would not be different as RJS posted...and as the FSM states...

It could be. The man at Rockauto had no input.

I am going to take some pictures of the Pathfinder transmission after I get into the city, and see if possibly there is a difference in the bell housing/input shaft side. I don't believe there to be any difference but we will see.

There is a very informative post somewhere here that listed the difference in the internals between the original and the HD versions, by Mr510 IIRC. While I'm not a tranny guy, there was a fair number of significant changes...

Let me see if I can find it.

Oh, I edited your original post and can remove your last post as well if you wish.

B

Bah, all I found was the same link you posted.

I SUMMON... Alkorahil! :handlebars:

Edited by Precise1

Thanks B,

I have spoken at length with Rob, and I think he and I are on the same page...its not etched in stone, and it really should be. Silly Nissan.

I went and got schematics from the local Nissan dealership, and both are identical, with identical part numbers etc. Only difference (according to schematics) is torque converters and output shafts between 2WD and 4WD obviously.

If it will stop raining for a moment I will get some pictures of the Pathfinder trans...

Here are the pictures of the 95 WD21 Pathfinder transmission that came out of my truck.

trans_leftside_95wd21.jpg

trans_leftside_95wd21_02.jpg

trans_rightside_95wd21.jpg

trans_rightside_95wd21_02.jpg

transfercase_end_95wd21.jpg

input_shaft_95wd21.jpg
Yep, had one heck of a rear main leak...before.

There was no transmission identification tab on this one as there was on the previously shown.

I need to put both transmissions side by side so I can see the differences.

For sure I know the following:

The wiring harness on the Xterra transmission is shorter.

The vent location is different.

Transfer cases Torque converters are different.

But this is already common knowledge.

Edited by Precise1
corrected, thanks Adam

The transfer case is the same. I put the xterra tcase into my wd21. If anything the shifter was actually slightly longer so it worked better with the body lift. Only had to bend it forward slightly. The vent location is no big deal, just get new hose. The JY I got mine from gave me the hose from the x so I used that.

The wiring harness I just plugged the pathy subharness into the xterra trans and it plugged right in with tons of slack. There is literally no modifying that needs to be done to do this. It's all plug and play. I did it on my back in the garage with the help of friends. It took me almost 3 weeks but I only worked on it in the evenings when no one was at work, and it was the middle of winter here.

That does seem odd... Well, it seems like the best bet is to aquire the tranny out of a supercharged VG33 4x4 and call it good.

It has been a while since I pulled my tranny to change the clutch, but damn, those beasts are big!

B

I cleaned a few things up for you Mr Moore...

Edited by Precise1

• 8 months later...

Gentleman...it has been a while since I followed up. Here is what I came up with.

Due to time constraints, (50-70 hour weeks) I was unable to do the work myself.

After doing extensive research, and getting with several transmission shops here is the verdict:

Per Matt at Allstar Transmission in Murfreesboro, TN....

The only difference between the pre 2000 RE4 transmissions is the valve bodies. The newer models have updated valve bodies and can handle more "abuse" due to significant improvements in orifice sizes, pressure, etc. It also addresses the reverse issue due to allowing the proper amount of fluid to get to where it needs to go due to the larger "veins" in the updated bodies.

Per Mike at Future Transmission in Murfreesboro, TN....

He said the same thing. We also looked at a master kit from a 1995 RE4, and a 2003 Xterra RE4, side by side.

Exactly the same, (even the clutches were the same size) with the exception of a letter designation at the end of the part numbers.

So armed with this information, I opted to have Matt at Allstar rebuild one of my 1995 RE4's with a new updated valve body.

Cost of parts: $1,345.00 (including new valve body and torque converter)
Cost of labor: $455.00
Total cost: $1,800.00 with 12 month 12,000 mile warranty.

Hoping to put this fresh rebuild in this coming weekend, if I do not get summoned into work...

My conclusion:

As far as I know to this point, the valve bodies are the only difference as stated before.

The information about larger or beefier parts, I am going to say that honestly I could not see a difference.

With the information posted by RJS about larger diameter internals, would not the master rebuild kits have to larger to accommodate?

Just my thoughts...based solely on what I have seen to this point.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My understanding was you could have used the xterra transmission and swapped your tcase and input shaft from your pathy tranny over onto the xterra. Send me your xterra transmission and I'll do a write up LOL.

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that is correct...would have simply cost more to do, and seeing physically that the parts were no different did not push me to justify the extra coin. I still have the 2wd 2003 X tranny...you can have it if you pay the freight!

I don't get why people are waiting for a write up. Its exactly the same as swapping in the factory trans. Except you swap the sub harness. Thats it. Hell i even used the speed sensor from the x tcase. Put down the phone/keyboard and get under the truck!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I don't get why people are waiting for a write up. Its exactly the same as swapping in the factory trans. Except you swap the sub harness. Thats it. Hell i even used the speed sensor from the x tcase. Put down the phone/keyboard and get under the truck!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Lol. I think people do not realize how easy it is. It's not rocket but converting 2wd to 4wd has a few extra steps. I'll do a small write up in the far future. Lol.

Yes, that is correct...would have simply cost more to do, and seeing physically that the parts were no different did not push me to justify the extra coin. I still have the 2wd 2003 X tranny...you can have it if you pay the freight!

How much is freight to Houston tx? Or Seadrift tx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...