body lift

Guest JerseyPathy

Guest JerseyPathy

New member here... does anyone kno a ballpark on how much a shop would charge to install a body lift kit and it a 3inch kit will eliminate tire rub with 31 inch tires on a 95 Pathfinder?

My suggestion would be to get a quote from a reputable 4x4 shop that's experienced in BL's... try a couple different ones & see what they come up with. It could easily run you several hundred dollars. Or try a "local-area-NPORA-I'll-buy-the-beer-&-pizza-body-lift-installation party" thread and see if you get any helpers...

Are you running the 31's on stock rims? I have some minor rubbing at full lock with mine on the stock Legos ~ mainly due to the backspacing. Same tires on different rims might remedy that. Many a Pathy came factory equipped with 31x10.50x15's, for the most part you shouldn't be experiencing excessive rubbing just by running them without a BL...

And mine has taken probably 4 full days so far, but I'm working alone with no specialty tools and have run into several annoying issues. I think the time depends on a lot of factors: your experience if you've even done a BL before, your tools, your work space, help, condition of the vehicle (rust, etc.), luck, etc. etc. I had heard of quotes somewhere around $400-700, but I have no idea if that is truly the case or not. You may also want to contact a local off-road shop if there is one in the area, and see if they do it or can recommend any shops they have worked with before.

Not too sure of your mechanical aptitude, but as far as the average and it sress average, body lift goes, they are fairly straight forward. Simple R/R ( remove and replace) is all it takes with a bit of jacking, and some inginuity if things get stuck. Realisitaly, you will save yourself alot of money by doing it yourself, or finding some one around here with the know-how, who will only charge you beer to get it done.

I put in a 3 in. BL from A/C. The instructions were great! Had a buddy help me, and about 5 hours later it was done. Its worth doing it your self. Good luck. Keep us updated. I live in Jersey. What part are you from?

post-6-1108235511.jpg

Guest JerseyPathy

im in morristown. I went over to 4x4 custom adventure in ledgewood and they quoted it at $600 in labor. The guy knew a lot about lifts and even noticed that my torsion bars had been cranked and shook his head ( i didnt do it!)

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the the San Francisco/Bay Area and just tried calling 2 shops to get a quote. One shop said they don't install bodylifts and the other said that they only carry kits for Pathys up to 1990. Would the 1990 lift kit fit on a 1994?

I offered to provide them with the AC kit and he said they wouldn't touch it because of liability reasons.

Can anybody suggest a shop in the Bay Area that would even attempt a bodylift on a 1994? :confused:

Thanks!

-Eric

DON"T BE SCARED!!! Seriously, about 3-5hrs with hand tools is all it takes. Maybe you should buy a hack saw too.

If you're going to lift it and take it out and 'wheel you might as well learn how to work on it too. What better time than in your own driveway?

Good luck, remember to loosen up everything and double check. You'll be fine.

Yeah, just do it yourself. If you had a partner and were very proficient, it would take you 3-5 hours, assuming that you had everything you needed right there and didn't have to run and get anything... it took me probably about 12 hours total working with a partner and I'm not that mechanically un-inclined. =)

OMG. I know this has nothing to do with the actual issue..but my aunt lives in Morristown..and I was born in Passaic NJ...and they have a house on LBI too...hehehe ....sorry! Back to the subject.

U R better off trying to do it yourself..really...you will pay twice as much for the labor, as the actual lift cost.... :unsure:

The guy knew a lot about lifts and even noticed that my torsion bars had been cranked and shook his head ( i didnt do it!)

Contrary to what ever he is thinking cranking up the T-bars doesn't hurt anything as long as you keep clearance from your bumpstops and get it alligned afterward (that's why they put adjusters on the end ;) ).

Do the body lift yourself. Chances are, things will go fine. I did mine alone by myself with my own hand tools in my townhouse carport, and it took longer, and still it went reasonably well, all things considering. Tell you what, if you do it alone, you'll test yourself in the patience and skill dept. and will learn a ton. It can be done no problemo most likely. My #1 recommendation... get a friend to help. :aok:

Edited by Mr. Pickles

I'm from the do it yourself camp. I went to a couple of well known 4X shops in Denver, and they wanted $700-$1000, and wouldn't use the kit I already had. The high quote was from a guy that had done a couple of Pathfinders before. I was really intimidated about getting into it myself, but it wasn't hard at all. I had a buddy helping, and it took us most of a day to do it. The toughest part for me was fudging with the front bumper, but I was hooking it back up alone. Believe me, if I can do it, just about anyone can. Definately get a second person, it will go much faster and smoother.

as for wheel rub? 4 words.. adjustable steering bump stops.. simple solution if you can deal with a bit increased turning radius

i had to adjust em on my 95 when i had 33 10.50s on lego wheels on a 3" bl and 3" suspy lifts

Are these adjustable steering bump stops stock in the Path or you bought them somewhere?

And... Did you have any issues using 33" in 15x7 lego wheels? Did the fit fine?