Strut/compression rod sources?

madhakish

So I just snapped this right off.. Anyone aware of other names for that piece or am I stuck wrenching it off a junker? Anyone know how safe it is to drive without the compression rods? Control arm still doesn't move even a little for me on a 3' persuader so it seems pretty solid.. Heading to the U.P. on Friday for a week and was hoping to wheel a bit..

:(

usy4esa5.jpg

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Edited by madhakish

Well, there's a '94 at the pick n pull, looks like I'm making a trip tomorrow.. Apparently this is an "if you're lucky" part.

If they are good, pull them. If not, you'll have to bite the bullet and get them at nissan. The bushings can be had aftermarket for a decent price. I think I paid 25 for a moog kit that did both sides.

I wouldn't drive without it. I limped mine home with a broken one, and that was a scary drive.

Best looking one in the yard.. 2.5 hours of the hardest wrenching I've ever done in my life and I got it out. I feel like I just did a heavy set of deadlifts. But I now have both and new bushings to boot!

4ymasenu.jpg

Edited by madhakish

I highly recommend you clean it really well and give it a surface treatment like tool black or something, or it won't last very long up there. Being a salt state, I would have just bought a new one. :shrug:

B

Well the problem is that it snapped the drivers side bar 1 day before leaving on a week long road trip, so this was mainly a repair out of necessity. I did soak them with 3 heavy coat a of rustoleum for now until the new rods are ordered.. But I'll be doing these, the torsion bars, and uca's at the same time and completing the lift up front and in back.

Sure did make a difference in handling and road feel!

Edited by madhakish

• 1 month later...

I also had something go "POP" in my front suspension. It was passenger side. The whole right front sank about 4 inches. I found the piece you have at a local yard, as the one in the truck was broken (looked like it had been for a while) and replaced it. That side still sags. The upper ball joint looks iffy, as it is at an extreme angle, but it looks nothing like the terrifying pictures I saw on the web. Any ideas what it could be? Has the shock failed? They are relatively new, as the person I just bought it from had them replaced a few years back.

Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced my bushings with the Progress Red ones... my torsion arm is worn about a 1/3 of way in. I used sleve with kit. Hind sight says I should have JB welded to fill and sand before sleeving but too late now. My biggest concern is my bracket were that the threaded shaft passes... it's all hogged out from being loose or what not after 200k miles. Eventually it's going to fail.

Thinking about cuttting off the bracket and putting a U type bracked bolted/welded to body with heim and rod when it fails.