New 2001 Pathfinder, Need Some Advice

fwizzle

I was sent here by bushnut. So here is my story.

Well I've had my first pathy for about a year. It is a 99 xe w/out 4 wheel drive. I loved the car, but I knew deep down inside that I needed a 4x4. So I worked my *** of this summer and bought a 01 pathfinder se. Its in really good condition, but I need to make it more off road capable. So if there is anyone out there that can help me, please let me know. I was thinking of getting warn manual locking hubs to improve gas milage first. I also want to lift the car a solid 2 inches by using strut spacers in order to fit 31 or 32 tires on it. Is this a good idea or should I do something else?

Welcome Bud!

fleurys is the man to talk to about spacers, and I do recommend the manual locking hub upgrade, I went with Mile Markers (much cheaper) and gained 2mpg highway. That is witht he VG33 motor, I'm not sure what you will see with the VQ35, but there has to be some positive difference.

31" tires almost fit a stock R50, but things can change if you use different rims; 1-2" lift is a good idea...

B

welcome. Your plans are pretty much the same thing the majority of people on here have done / are doing to theirs, so read up on all kinds of threads and you'll learn as you go. Lots of useful info here.

Welcome Bud!

fleurys is the man to talk to about spacers, and I do recommend the manual locking hub upgrade, I went with Mile Markers (much cheaper) and gained 2mpg highway. That is witht he VG33 motor, I'm not sure what you will see with the VQ35, but there has to be some positive difference.

31" tires almost fit a stock R50, but things can change if you use different rims; 1-2" lift is a good idea...

B

Mile Marker don't make locking hubs for r50s anymore. :(

Warn and Rugged Ridge are the only options now. There's another brand but I forgot the name.

Mile Marker don't make locking hubs for r50s anymore. :(

Warn and Rugged Ridge are the only options now. There's another brand but I forgot the name.

Are you certain about this? According to the Mile Marker website, they still list the part number (#435) and describe it as fitment for Pathfinders. They say only up to 1996, but this is incorrect...

http://milemarker.com/products/drive-train-products/lock-out-hubs

B

Are you certain about this? According to the Mile Marker website, they still list the part number (#435) and describe it as fitment for Pathfinders. They say only up to 1996, but this is incorrect...

http://milemarker.com/products/drive-train-products/lock-out-hubs

B

That's why I'm confused. I could not remember the part # for the 96-04 and was surprised to see it unlisted.

If 435 is definitely for the r50, then I'm picking one up instead of the warns due to cost.

so fleurys, I've looked at your website and have seen your spacers. How long do they last and how do they ride?

I,m sure they will outlast the truck.... As for the riding, the ride stays the same as before the spacers... No change...just higher..

I,m sure they will outlast the truck.... As for the riding, the ride stays the same as before the spacers... No change...just higher..

What size tire can i get without rubbing with a 2inch lift? And if i do 2inches in the front and 2 in the back, will it level out the car? I know that the back is normally higher, so i assume it will even out.

What size tire can i get without rubbing with a 2inch lift? And if i do 2inches in the front and 2 in the back, will it level out the car? I know that the back is normally higher, so i assume it will even out.

32"

You have to measure and order the lift accordingly .. Everything is explained on my website...

Thanks man. I'll do the measurements and figure it out. Should I replace the struts and springs or will stock(if they look ok) be good enough

32"

You have to measure and order the lift accordingly .. Everything is explained on my website...

Thanks man. I'll do the measurements and figure it out. Should I replace the struts and springs or will stock(if they look ok) be good enough

Stock is good. I designed the spacers exactly for that purpose. keep your oem springs and shocks.

Stock is good. I designed the spacers exactly for that purpose. keep your oem springs and shocks.

Thank you for the help. I'll probably buy some around December ish. I would buy the skid plate you offer, but there is for for the r50 on 4x4parts.com and it cheap. I know the one you make is bigger and better but I dont see myself rock crawling anywhere in the deep South

Thank you for the help. I'll probably buy some around December ish. I would buy the skid plate you offer, but there is for for the r50 on 4x4parts.com and it cheap. I know the one you make is bigger and better but I dont see myself rock crawling anywhere in the deep South

Fair enough :-)

S.

Advice...I think you should completely abandon this project and sell it to me cheap! Lol. Just kidding. There's lots of good info and good people here that will help steer you the right direction. Just do one thing at a time and don't get in too big of a rush.

Well, I finally got my tag, so now its time to mod and drive this wonderful machine. Here are a pic of it before I cleaned it inside and out.IMG_20140819_161929643_HDR_zps53612f8b.j

Edited by fwizzle
  • Like 1

Looks good fwiz! Almost identical to my '01, go slow and do it a step at a time, taking the time to think about exactly what you want and doing right the first time will make you and your bank account much happier in the end.

32"

Just as a quick question (statement) I have 31"s on my '98 and I know 32" s won't fit under the struts with stock rims. I'm planning on lifting my new (to me) '03 with your spacers next year in the spring. The spacers lift at the top so how would 32"s fit under the struts?