Question on doing a SFD

TutorN1

I've tried a search before this, but didn't really find what I was looking for. I remember reading how someone built the parts for their steering when they did a SFD. I've built my blocks, and wanting to get all the parts done before I start.

I'm going with 3" if that matters. I'm wanting to get this on this winter. Any info would be helpful.

Well you'll need to make a steering linkage extention, same principle applies, just make it 3" longer.

Traditionally, people make their brake lines longer. With a 3" you can probably get away with it, but better safe than sorry. You can make your own by converting to SS with an AN kit. But Krfab has a fairly solid deal on the 3 SS line youll need.

And I think the only other thing you'll need besides the blocks is to make one of the PS lines a little higher mounted to avoid strain.

Oh almost forgot about the rear end. You'll need longer shocks in back, stock "TECHNICALLY" works, but you'll want to get longer ones, most guys run F-350 spec shocks, as it uses the same dual eyelet design with just a longer travel. I don't remember the specs off the top of my head but I can point you in the right direction if need be. And lastly you'll need to decide how you want to get the rear up in the air. I believe there are two options now. You can go the traditional route again by getting Jeep Grand Cherokee lift Springs and modifying the perch to accommodate the design change, it's a little tricking trying to get a level stance, but it does work once you have it dialed it. Or I think Steve now offers a three inch spring spacer that would maintain the same spring rate as stock, and just relocates where the spring sits to a little higher up.

Past that, put on some 33's, get an alignment and call it good!

Hope that helps!

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

Man yeah, that helps!

I do remember reading about using F-350 shocks before, you have to mount them upside down. I'm going to make all the parts I can myself, nothin against Steve, just trying to do this on a TIGHT budget.

I'll put a spacer in for now, then may get some iron man springs later on.

Hadn't thought about my lines, I'll call and get some prices at a place here. They can make any lines in house. (Made some for a bike build I helped on)

What about bolts that I'll need? Anybody remember what they are?

Anybody know a part number for the jeep lift springs? I've looked a few different sets, but not sure which ones I need.

Found a set of the F-350 shock yesterday for around $50 so I can get them anytime.

AWSOME! I looked at some of those, but weren't sure if that's what I needed.

May check with a guy here who just lifted his wrangler, again. He may have some from and old lift I might can get.

If not 200 for the rear isn't bad for a lift.

Sorry, what I ment was he raised his jeep higher! He was all ready at least 3" before. I think he's at 6" or better! If still has them I might can get a used set of lift springs.

• 2 months later...

Figured it was time to post what I've been doing.

This is what I've got so far, all I lack on getting the front SFD kit finished is the strut towers. Hope to have them finished sometime this next week. Once they're done I'll start getting all the stuff built for the rear lift.

FAD72AAB-AA91-4172-A415-80FF048A1149_zps

Yepper that's 3" ?

The tower tube looks bigger cuz I had them stacked in the pic.

Started laying the holes out for the plates on them today, going to have to go with a 4.5 center hole to fit my tube. Maybe over engineering, but would rather be safe than sorry.

Once I get those welded up, I'll move to building the parts for the rear. It's a slow go, but I'm not in a hurry.

Figured I'd update where I'm at now

Got my towers all welded up, got some grinding, and machining left to get them to finished hight.

A390E64D-0C25-4768-83DA-03F48EC6CC2B_zps

Not looking bad, for a first time build. Just hope I've got all my holes where they need to be.

• Like 1

Got in mind of building these to go on the spring perch to hold the jw springs from the link above

A6A9D9ED-B192-432B-9372-D96CB750F106_zps

Here's a pic from another thread on here, sorry can't remember who, it's in the R50 section. Gives an idea of where the sit, and how they work. Also gives a nice view of the pan hard drop I'm going to start in a few weeks.

5CCE80F2-EA7A-4669-803E-FEE5B0386043_zps

Feel free to ask questions, or give any thoughts on how to do it better.

The pic on top is a SFD from krfabs. That's the one that got me to thinkin I could build my own.