ECU Pins

I found this while digging through my harness for any bad connections. It's the largest connector on the ECU. The one pin on the bottom row, third from the left is corroded. The clip inside the harness connector going to it is also corroded. I looked in the Haynes and on here and couldn't find a diagram to identify which pin this is. The wire for it is black with a blue stripe. Does anyone know what this is for and what would be the best way to change out the pin and the clip inside the harness connector?.nu7aga5u.jpg

I looked in the '89 FSM (don't remember where I got it, found the download link around here a while ago) and found the plug on EF&EC-21. Looks like the wire with the corroded pin is labelled 103 and is "B/L" ("B" is black, "L" is blue because... :scratchhead: ) and it goes to Joint Connector A, which--near as I can tell--is just a jumper block that connects that wire to several others, and it looks like some of the others go to sensors. That sounds like a ground to me, but it's not hooked to body ground, so maybe it's a regulated ground for the sensors? :shrug: Here's most of that page. The plug is the one labelled 262M.

Screenshot2014-08-09at32218AM_zps70d0bb2

No way that pin's coming out. The one in the plug might, but then you'd have to find a new one. There's probably some kind of electrical cleaner made for this. I would start with contact cleaner, and when that did nothing whatsoever, I'd scrape at it with a very small flathead screwdriver, maybe some very fine sandpaper on a stick, spray it again, put some dielectric grease in there, and plug it back in.

Weird how it's just the one that corroded.

Ok thanks for the tips. I'll clean it up and hopefully it won't corrode again. Yea it was the only pin that was corroded. I thought that was strange too. I'm still trying to solve a no start. Battery, alternator, starter are new and tested when bought. Spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor and ignition coil are all new. I rewired all the corroded connectors I could find, which was quite a few. The truck turns over but won't start. When I pull the ignition cable off the distributor and ground it to the frame I get no spark when I try to start the truck. I get the correct resistance on the primary ignition circuit but no reading on the secondary. I'm thinking that the ignition coil I bought might be a dud or the ICM died.

Probably a positive i think. I see it all the time at my work. Battery terminal anti corrosive on a small paint brush works well to neutralize this kind of problem. I would be hesitant to scrape it because it is ecu pin if corrosion has weakened it enough pin may break off. Paint it heavily and when you plug it in will transfer to other side of connection eliminating all corrosive

Edited by PeteyPathy