distributor/camshaft positioning sensor

joshsdad

Hey guys,

I have a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder that we have loved. Have put 170k on it and it for the most part has been a dream vehicle. Only having to do regular maintenance, a few sensors, and of course the suspension wobble problem many of these have. NOW I have a big problem. It will drive perfectly and then at random times will not re-start. Or it will shut down while driving and not re-start for at least 12 hours. The SES code reads Camshaft Positioning Sensor which is located in the bottom of the Distributer. I purchased one from the local auto parts store (because of lifetime warranty) and it worked for a while, then stopped again. I have now under warranty put 5 of these in. They will work for a little while, then the same junk will start up. I am beginning to think it is the computer. Anyone else have any issues with this? Thanks,

Well, cheap Chinese sensors like that are known to be horribly unreliable. To be honest you'd be better off spending more on a quality part. The problem may not come back after that.

I would, the next one fails again, check the wiring harness for any shorts/damage/loose pins between the sensor plug and ECU.

Hey guys,

I have a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder that we have loved. Have put 170k on it and it for the most part has been a dream vehicle. Only having to do regular maintenance, a few sensors, and of course the suspension wobble problem many of these have. NOW I have a big problem. It will drive perfectly and then at random times will not re-start. Or it will shut down while driving and not re-start for at least 12 hours. The SES code reads Camshaft Positioning Sensor which is located in the bottom of the Distributer. I purchased one from the local auto parts store (because of lifetime warranty) and it worked for a while, then stopped again. I have now under warranty put 5 of these in. They will work for a little while, then the same junk will start up. I am beginning to think it is the computer. Anyone else have any issues with this? Thanks,

This does fit the symptoms of a bad distributor.

The aftermarket replacement camshaft sensors for the inside of the distributors do not last. I have seen this and said it over and over. You are not the first person to experience this. I have had many local customers experience the same thing.

Another possibility (my first thought reading original post) is ignition module. It will cause exactly the symptoms you're describing. Don't usually throw a code in my experience but could feasibly be your problem.