Whining noise. Serpentine belt replacement. 2008 nissan pathfinder se.

Eneas30

I've been getting a whining noise from the engine while starting and driving. I've been told that I should replace the serpentine belt. Any suggestions on how to replace it. And is this noise really coming from the worn out belt? Belt costs 60 bucks at he dealership.

Yes it could defiantely be an old belt making noise at start up. If it is the original belt you are due!

I would check the idler pully as well for any noise and wobble.

• Like 1

Depends on the whine. If the whine continues as you rev the engine, it may the the timing chain tensioner pads wearing. There is a TSB for it. It isnt exactly cheap to do, if your paying for it out of warranty. I would take the serp belt off and see if it is still there or goes away.

If you can, try dressing the belt with hairspray and see if the noise changes or goes away temporarily. If so, change the belt.

As 5523 said, if it's a "super charger" style whine that is RPM dependent, could be the timing chain guides.

Thanks so much for your replies. I will definitely let you know the progress. Just contacted Nissan and belt cost is 60 bucks. Just don't want to take it to the dealership and be charged an arm and a leg. See ya!

Yes it could defiantely be an old belt making noise at start up. If it is the original belt you are due!

I would check the idler pully as well for any noise and wobble.

You're right. Mine has 54k miles. And i think its already due.