05 pathy tranny issue

FreQ

So my truck 4ed automatic had started slipping when it's hot outside and been driving a while when it tries to change from first to second if I feather the throttle it'll finally go and after the other 3 gears work perfectly. It's got just shy of 106k and I've had it for just over a year now but I don't know the previous service it's had. I'm thinking maybe a flush and fill of the tranny will fix it?

What color is the fluid? 05's are known fo rthe transmission cooler cracking at the radiator(internally) and contaminating each other. Your coolant will also contaminate and look kinda gray-ish. You can bypass the cooler and flush the transmission, but damage may already be done. Yes, it will require both a new radiator and transmission if that is what you have going on.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/37931-r51-owners-how-to-save-your-transmission/

Edited by 5523Pathfinder
  • Like 1

Its a dull red colour radiator crack shouldn't be an issue for me I did the bypass the week i got it last year my thinking is that its broken down due to age and as it heats up its causing it to slip

To my knowledge its not been changed in it's life gonna change it as soon as i can find the time i work 6 days a week and 10-12 hours a day. What's the best way to go about doing that on these drop the pan and drain it that way or pull the hoses apart and run it through the gears replacing it in small steps? And do I have to use nissan fluid or can I get different branded fluid such as royal purple etc?