Super Bike Video

Precise1

Just some crazy stuff I ran across. There is a l0ot of action footage, but they don't really explain everything (like why my bike didn't make the return loop). I suspect they were 'hiding' bikes that had been chased, flagged, identified, etc...

I own a CBR110XX a few years newer than in the video, but I'm not in the same league as these riders by an order of magnitude. That said, I can say it wheelies like a monster, cruises at 100-120 like it was made for it and I never got it up to top speed, because roads are too short... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28J4LtZHQl0

B

I rode a Yamaha XT350 for about 3 years and it was great, I loved it until I got bored with it, but I never was able to do any stunts or anything crazy on it, I could barely wheelie it. Thing I always wonder about these guys is I'd like to know how much carnage all their previous bikes and their human bodies themselves had to recover from, all the wrecks and bad spills they must have had to get to be as good as they are now, riding stand up wheelies sitting backwards on the gas tank while doing a 100 mph down the highway...I mean..wtf? Like, how do you practice that without dying a few times in between?

Worst thing I ever did on a motorcycle was rent a Honda Hornet 600 (naked, no fairing, no wind protection, nothing except my full face helmet and visor) and try to find my way around Rome, Italy. That was sad.

I grew up on dirt bikes, so by the time I took my motorcycle driving test at 16, the instructor told me I was the most skilled he had seen in years. Since then I have owned 6 bikes (big enduros to superbikes), totaled the first one and crashed the rest at least once. I had the nickname of Terminator for a while because I've never even broken a bone, and the dislocations healed fairly well. :lol:

That said, I'm a bit stiff some mornings in my middle age.

I have no idea how those guys are so in tune and so skilled, other than you are looking at the top .01% of riders. (I consider myself in the top 5%)

About 8 years back, I went for a ride with 'kids'. They were either hung over or had lost their license, but all rolled superbikes (R1 or R6). They laughed at my 'Cannonball runner', but 3/4 of the way through the 4 hour loop of hard riding, they were complaining about being tired, arms hurting, needing water, etc and I was fine. The last leg had a long flat straight away that they were blazing through, but the guy with no license wound up his R1 at 90mph, took a stand up wheelie stance and rode it over a mile, setting it down at 120mph only because he got a bad wobble going due to his totally bald tire. Then I passed him, and the rest...

Yeah, I know when I'm out of my class. :shrug:

B

I see people all the time riding with bald tires, makes me wonder how they survive. I suppose they are expensive but your life is invaluable. I changed a tire the other day for a kid and the cords were showing at least an inch wide throughout the circumference, on an '08 CBR1000RR none the less. I bought an '04 R1 earlier this year and immediately put new Dunlop Sportmax Q3's on it. It was like night and day in the corners. Still no way I would want to do any of this stuff on the highway like these guys though. I try to keep the wheels on the ground to prolong my fork life (I play mechanic at a powersports shop too in my spare time so I have to do all the maintenance myself).

Oh, I agree, doing all that on the road isn't cool (only endanger yourself) and they are definitely beating the crap out of those bikes. I'm no angel and appreciate a good wheelie if you can set it down nicely, but I do my own work/pay for my own parts as well and that sheit gets expensive!

Hell, just tires and stretched chains from 'normal' riding adds up quick...

B

I haven't had a bike in 25 years , but I'll admit to taking every one I ever had to it's limit... :D

I had a succession of Kawasaki's , a 1980 KZ550 , 1982 1000R Eddie Lawson . 1983 GPZ750 , and The Beast . a 1975 900 bored to 1075 .

That '82 1000R is worth a pile 'o money now if you can find one....

http://raresportbikesforsale.com/timing-is-everything-1982-kz1000r-eddie-lawson-replica-275/

Sadly , mine was totaled when an old white haired fella pulled a left hander directly in my path , the old "I never saw him" trick....

I left an 85' skid mark then did a perfect Superman 75' and landed square on my head , curled up into a ball and did three rolls . and came up swearing according to witnesses... :rolleyes:

Thank God for youth , and helmets !

Edited by Beatup96

• 4 months later...

I always wanted to make a video like that with my buddies but never had a good camera set up. Now I'm married and have kids and responsibilities so I've had to tone it down a bit. Go-pro's are cheaper now so maybe next summer I can make one. Been on GSX-R's since they came to the states in 86.

There are some riders that push it in the wrong places. Personally I keep both tires on the ground. I have too much invested in mine to crash it.

If any of you have not ridden a v-twin sportbike, you should. Lots of torque. Just be easy on the throttle or you will be looking at the sky.