Instrument Panel Light Replacement

So I asked about the low fuel light possibly not working a while back...

I now know for sure that it doesn't work (I ran out of gas, somewhat intentionally, and it did NOT come on at any point).

Is it possible to replace the bulb? And is there some sort of test function for the cluster to light up all the lights? My friend's BMW has that, and it made it easy to see which lights were not functional. I am just wondering because it would be nice to rule out a sensor problem... Is it more trouble than it's worth to try to fix this?

Another light that doesn't work is my seatbelt light. I didn't even know it had one until I was looking at pictures of the instrument clusters of similar year Pathfinders for sale on craigslist.
Is there a way to fix that bulb? Or could that be a sensor issue of some sort?

The second one doesn't bother me, but I am kinda OCD about having everything working even if it isn't actually that useful to me.

Hmm, check all your fuses first. I just replaced the lights in my dash, there should be a way to pop in a new bulb- very easy procedure.

What Karmann said, especially on older vehicles, the instrument clusters come out pretty easily and they use regular spin in bulbs. Should be an easy fix as long as you can find the right part numbers. Maybe all the bulbs are the same. Might be a good opportunity to swap for different colours?!

Thanks for the replies.

Is there an easy way to find the part numbers for the instrument cluster bulbs? As well as the procedure for removing the instrument cluster? I've been using the search function but I'm having trouble finding what I'm looking for.

I'm going to check the fuses, but I would think that if a fuse crapped out on me there would be more things not working, like the gas gauge or entire cluster... Does anyone know which specific fuses to check?

On the plus side, I managed to go 622 km (386 miles) before running out of gas, on that tank :laugh:

I don't have the exact answers but you can start by looking at originalnissanparts or calling a Nissan dealer.

As for the process, should be some screws around the dash and then it should lift out. I have done this on other cars before and that's the gist of it. Sorry, not too informative.

Thanks for the replies.

Is there an easy way to find the part numbers for the instrument cluster bulbs? As well as the procedure for removing the instrument cluster? I've been using the search function but I'm having trouble finding what I'm looking for.

I'm going to check the fuses, but I would think that if a fuse crapped out on me there would be more things not working, like the gas gauge or entire cluster... Does anyone know which specific fuses to check?

On the plus side, I managed to go 622 km (386 miles) before running out of gas, on that tank :laugh:

622km! Good grief! I was lucky to get 450km out of a tank (not running out, by still!). Hopefully my fuel milage will get better now that the MAF sensor is clean nad the fuel trim is back to normal. Let me know if you did any modifications to your vehicle because I want to get more KMs out of it...

I think there was a thread done on this for the instrument cluster but I am not sure where it was. Here, EXPO, or nicoclub... i will check when I can.

Edited by Quaintbucket

622km! Good grief! I was lucky to get 450km out of a tank (not running out, by still!). Hopefully my fuel milage will get better now that the MAF sensor is clean nad the fuel trim is back to normal. Let me know if you did any modifications to your vehicle because I want to get more KMs out of it...

I think there was a thread done on this for the instrument cluster but I am not sure where it was. Here, EXPO, or nicoclub... i will check when I can.

At this point I really haven't done anything. I still have the stock hubs, stock engine, and factory 4.636:1 axle ratio. I can consistently get over 500 per tank, and while I generally don't go above 600, my mpg calculations seem to prove that I could on most tanks, theoretically.

My guess is the secret is that mine's a 5 speed :wub: The only thing I can't stand is the overdrive ratio isn't very tall, so with the shorter axle ratio, the engine is at pretty high RPM's on the highway.

I don't drive like a bat out of hell, but I don't drive like a granny either.

My long term (35+ tank) average is 18.2 US mpg.

Found it!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84010-2002-Pathfinder-(R50)-Build-Thread-by-Allof75?p=1624512#post1624512

Hope that helps. :) I kinda want to do this modification but not sure how I feel about it with driving at dawn and dusk.

here is a list from nicoclub with all the bulb sizes and a guide

http://forums.nicoclub.com/topic563777.html?sid=f080028a3bd97ccc295e5d8782aab584

hope it helps

Thanks. I'll see what I can do with this info, and report back if I end up with any questions.