Headers

ebayfish

I was thinking about completely redoing my exhaust starting with the headers back. Assuming I Y back to a single pipe, should I go with pace setter headers? Also I guess I'll keep the section with my O2 sensor and my "modified free flowing" catalytic converter. Any suggestions on mufflers & should I increase pipe size or will that not allow for enough back pressure?

IF you go with the pacesetters as I did, make sure you: 1) mow down the lip on the front of the cat towards the engine since the Pacesetters do not have a relief inside the tube for it to fit into and 2) remove the motor hoist on the back of the engine. It prevents the headers from sitting on the heads and sealing. The hoist block is held on to the head with 2 10mm bolts and it's hiding between the firewall on the drivers' side and the top of the valve cover. It bends around the head's outer upper corner near the brake booster.

As for mufflers: I'm running the stock one but everyone else has their own ideas!

• 2 weeks later...

Did you notice any significant gains in power or economy when you put the headers on? Is there any Nissan junkyard finds that may have headers that would bolt on?

• 2 weeks later...

Power gains: yes but i've been getting a project back to daily driver so I'm not sure what exactly is doing what. It could just be that the exhaust is actually sealed! Gains in economy are all from correct vac lines in the correct location and length installed with grease on the barbs and nipples and correct base timing ( first major week of ownership).

Having 33" tires I noticed a pretty big difference in how it handled hills. I mean it is still slow but the gas mileage is actually near stock now. I can get 17-19 if I baby it real well.

I guess I can't complain much about economy, I've cleaned throttle body, egr, new plugs,, 7mm wires, xterra tranny, stock intake, holy stock exhaust $ averaging 19.5. I just want to do my due diligence before I step up to my 32s.

I guess I can't complain much about economy, I've cleaned throttle body, egr, new plugs,, 7mm wires, xterra tranny, stock intake, holy stock exhaust $ averaging 19.5. I just want to do my due diligence before I step up to my 32s.