"Service Eng Soon" MIL question

AlphaGeek

Hey guys,

I have searched here for a topic but to no avail.

So, I have the service manual for my '99 Chilkoot and between reading that and an hour of on-line research I'm getting very confused about reading ODB-II codes from it. The "service engine soon" light came on a couple of weeks after some major service work (clutch kit, brakes, CV boots, shocks, muffler and O2 sensor) the first time I took it out on the highway (after a couple of hours of highway driving). Before I take it to the mechanic, I'd kinda like to know what the DTC is; so...

I found this link: http://nissanhelp.com/diy/common/nissan_engine_codes_read_2.php which describes a procedure to read the DTC without an ODB-II reader but I can't tell if that's applicable to my '99... anyone know?

I'm looking at maybe getting an inexpensive DTC reader from DX.com (link: http://www.dx.com/p/2012-newly-professional-3-0-lcd-auto-code-reader-vgate-scantool-maxiscan-vs890-153711#.U9g69bHHi_I ) but I'm reading confusing things about vehicle applicability. And here I thought ODB-II was a "standard"! Any thoughts on this being able to read the DTC's off the Pathy? I read a post somewhere about some guy with a '98 VE unable to read DTC's from the ODB port and his mechanic couldn't either and said he HAD to use the CONSULT port. Thoughts?

As always, thanks in advance!

-Arne

Not sure about the earlier R50's but I have no problems pulling or clearing codes from my '01 with a "cheapo" code reader. Once I pull the code I do a search on here and on Nissanhelp, usually points me in the right direction.

Same with mine and used it on many different vehicles so far. Just buy a cheepo, it is all you need to read and clear...

B

Sorry, let me clarify, I didn't buy mine at Harbor Freight, I was talking about that it works fine and on anything OBD2 so far. I bought a Craftsman that cost more and has some useless pay-as-you-go features that are a waste of time. I ditto just buying a cheepo, I wasted $ unnecessarily on mine.

Edited by Precise1
  • Like 1

The late 90's are an interesting time for doing electronic diagnostics on Nissans. 96-99, you can get the basics through the OBDII port, but if you want to look at live data or get full info(as far as the PCM is willing to give), you have to use the consult port. I am a professional auto mechanic(not a profession I recommend for people who actually want good life), and so I found it worth my money to spend big on diagnostic tools. Most people are good with the basic reader, at least it gives you an idea of where to start looking. Any of them should give the basic info you need. Just a tip, if it does not communicate, check for a blown fuse for the lighter socket.

• Like 1