NIssanBoston's r50 mild build

Hello everyone, i’m finally deciding to make a build thread after so long of being on the forums. I have a 1999 Nissan pathfinder SE with 118k miles on it. This is my first truck and my very first off-roading rig. I plan to use the knowledge i gain from here and personal experiences to build my rig up to my standards and needs. Below are the current goals i have set or the current mods i want to be installed on my truck.

Future mods:

-2” lift with 1” Fleurys spacers(Currently deciding on old man emu springs or AC coils.)

-Mile marker manual hubs(I have them just haven’t got aroun to installing them)

-33” Mud-terrains all around

-Gas can mount

-Arb Bumper with winch

-Custom fender flares( On the idea of the 2014 jeep flares)

-Receiver hitch

-Roof rack

-Off-roading lights

-Snorkel

Mods installed

-Tire carrier

-Hi lift jack mount with jack

-Cb radio+4”firestik antenna

-Mirror mount for antenna

-5 245 75 16 general grabber at2

My truck when i first bought it, there was alot of things mechanically wrong with it, but i guess it was just love at first sight . The truck had 115k miles but needed both cv axles front ball bearings new struts and it needed a flex pipe. Got all those fixed and was on my way to making the current mods i have now.

5mbwqr.jpg

2vinq7d.jpg

Those were sadly the only pictures i took of the truck when i first bought it

I then wanted to fill that empty space in the back, i got a good deal on a tire carrier off ebay and bought it, weeks later i got home from work and there was the ups guy delivering it , perfect timing. It was very rusty when it arrived so i re-primered and spray painting the carrier. It was my first time spray painting anything and i got to say i was not upset about the results at all,

vy166s.jpg

210m5c7.jpg

260zp6o.jpg

20rtmqq.jpg

I then wanted to install a cb radio for when i went on convoys and went on off-roading trips, i had no idea what i was doing when wiring the thing or setting up the antenna , i got very big help from Npora CNAM he was very patient and helpful , before you knew i had it installed and working. I bought a mirror mount for the antenna and it did not fit over the carrier so i had to drill larger holes and modify it to fit, i finally got it to fit and tighten it snug and mounted the antenna up.

15mbek8.jpg

mr4v21.jpg

2zom6vl.jpg

I don’t have a picture of the cb radio set-up in my dash but i’m working on getting a photo of that

I have one picture of currently how the tailside of my truck looks like, thats me on the left and my daughter sitting on the carrier, my hi lift jack was not mounted at the time as you can see the hi-lift mount on the back.

2h7o0op.jpg

I’m deciding on the lift i want to get, i want to hear personal experiences from all of you guys with old man emu coils and ac coils , What would be the best option for me on a budget friendly basis . How does it ride? and do they sag after awhile? And i heard of you needing backspacing with the ac coils i was wondering if i have that right amount of backspaccing with my stock lego wheels. Any information is more knowledge to me so please don’t hesitate to give me some information, like i said i’m new to this and this is my first truck/off-road vehicle. I’m always open to suggestions aswell !

Edited by NIssanBoston

So when you got it, there was no carrier but I'm guessing there were holes to mount it? It's got the right hatch for one.

And like CDN_S4 said, Fluery's spacers are good for a budget. You can get a couple inches lift using them.

Yes I plan on getting 1" fleurys spacers with lift coils, and yeah there was bolts already to the carrier, the previous owner said it was too much of a "hassle" to have the carrier which I don't understand at all... >.> takes two seconds to open it..

So when you got it, there was no carrier but I'm guessing there were holes to mount it? It's got the right hatch for one.

And like CDN_S4 said, Fluery's spacers are good for a budget. You can get a couple inches lift using them.

Nope, mine is a factory fitted as part of the mysterious "off road package"

I'm converting my early model body style to the updated, I just want a teaser to see what the swing away looks like with the updated look.

-Kyle

nice set up... I've been procrastinating on my CB install for months.

Just a word on your High Lift...Until you get re-enforced bumpers or rock sliders and or a trailer hitch. it is pretty much useless except for being a winch. with a unibody truck without any hardened jack points it will crush your body panels.

nice set up... I've been procrastinating on my CB install for months.

Just a word on your High Lift...Until you get re-enforced bumpers or rock sliders and or a trailer hitch. it is pretty much useless except for being a winch. with a unibody truck without any hardened jack points it will crush your body panels.

Yeah that's why i keep it off mostly because of that reason , i plan on getting a trailer hitch and rock sliders in the future. I mostly go with jeeps and they usually pull me out with a tow strap. The jack is for in the future when i go by myself :ph33r:

Yeah that's why i keep it off mostly because of that reason , i plan on getting a trailer hitch and rock sliders in the future. I mostly go with jeeps and they usually pull me out with a tow strap. The jack is for in the future when i go by myself :ph33r:

What in the hell do you mean jeeps pull you out! ;)

before you bother with bumpers, winches, and sliders...I'd get better tires. that should keep the Heeps from pulling you out. or learn what kind of terrain is doable with your stock truck....(no disrespect intended) sometimes not trying an obstacle is as valuable as trying one and failing.

That's very true, yeah i was suprised with how far my stock truck went, i went to a jeep event and went every the jeeps went except in the mud and i kept up with the jeeps, i didnt do one obstacle for that reason of because i knew i was going to fail it lol. I just bought these general grabber at's so it will be a while before i see myself getting new tires. i'm getting a ome lift next

before you bother with bumpers, winches, and sliders...I'd get better tires. that should keep the Heeps from pulling you out. or learn what kind of terrain is doable with your stock truck....(no disrespect intended) sometimes not trying an obstacle is as valuable as trying one and failing.

• 2 weeks later...

Not done too much to my truck since last update, did order some decals from fleurys, Got to say they look great! Messed up on the windshield decal though >.> but that's my fault. Next upgrade is purchasing a whole cat-back exhaust system an having it installed.

bdslzb.jpg

2colwzs.jpg

Thank you, i actually really like them, there not bad at all! For the trails i so far went on they've been really stable i have not tried them with mud yet, thats the real test :lmao:

Looks really nice, how do you like those grabbers?

Replaced the exhaust today , all the pipes from after the cat. Had broken one of the pipes from off-roading im pretty sure. Nice and quiet now, next on the list is KYB's all around Will post pics later.

Looks good man, you'll really like those Grabbers in the snow. Put a set (255/70/16) on my '01 just before a good dump last winter, I was cruising through 14"+ like it was on rails! So far, these are some of the best "do it all" tires I've had, great on dry/wet pavement, snow/ice, beach, hard-pack dirt and light mud. Haven't run them in deep gooey mud yet either.