Transmission Fluid Change- Drain or Flush?

Flyer

My '02 Pathy needs the tranny fluid changed (44K miles). I just bought it and I knwo it's never been done.

One dealer here says they only do a drain while the other two claim to also be able to do a full flush with a "machine." Apparently, the drain replaces 5 quarts while the flush replaces the entire 10 quarts.

What do you guys think about this? Which one should I go for and are there any disadvantages of doing one over the other?

Drain - $75

Flush - $130-$150

Fine metal screen ehh? is that to keep the shavings from re-circulating??

The simple replacement is what i did to my precious CR-X (5 spd) and used penzoil syncromesh and that stuff rocks!!! The jdm tranny's are always grinding gears; after syncromesh.....smooooooooth. I must look into the auto tranny fluid market...any suggestions?

incidentally this forum grows better everyday, great topic :clap:

Its a filter but it is made of a metal screen instead of fibers so it will not clog unless of course your tranny just blew up. I've actually been at a local Nissan parts department where they refused to sell a guy a new tranny filter for that same reason, no reason to change it. Funny thing is their service literature actually touts changing the filter.

I have to admit that curiousity got the better of me and I dropped my trans pan after 100k miles and heavy boat towing over 7+ years. Well the magnet had very little fuzz and the filter/screen was as good as day 1.

Tranny fluid can't be that expensive. If I drained it and then drained it again, I shoudl get about 75% of it changed, right? :)

Is it hard to do? I mean, I change my engine oil myself but have never changed the tranny oil. My Accord was quite hard to get to so I didn't try. Do you guys change it yourself? IS is a lot harder than changing engine oil?

I need to figure out how all this looks. See, when changing engine oil, all I do is remove the drainplug/filter and reinstall but withthe tranny fluid, there seem to be more parts- pan, magnet, anything else. I have no idea what and where they are so I have to get me a bit edumicated, yall hear :P

darn, I can't believe I don't know exactly how to change the transmission fluid- darn embarrassment :shrug:

Is there any way to tell whether the tranny fluid needs changed?

I have a used pathy and have no idea if it's ever been done, and I am at

106K miles...

It's a standard, too, so would that change anything, in terms of wear and tear?

Don’t forget to tighten the tranny bolts to spec or it might leak. Also don’t tighten it to tight or you might strip the bolts. :shrug:

Well had to change the Tranni fluid in the van this past Fall as it wasn't shifting properly (thought I was going to have to replace the tranni) anyway I looked for torque specs even went to the chrysler dealership made me think to get any work there ever again.

The machanics there had not even a clue. So they printed out some sheet that had nothing to do with torque specs :D it was just funny.

So I was worried :o that I was going to over/under Torque the bolts. All in all I tightened them up and so far so good ;)

The chrysler dealer wanted $160 just to change the bloody tranni fluid.

:beer:

Hey Trialsin26, didn't mean anything by it just that is what the Chrysler dealership told me on the ph. Then when I went there, they had no clue?????

I spent almost a whole week trying to find torque specs from the net and Dealers, I even went as low as asking Canadian Tire :wacko: and I really wish someone just told me to just tighten them down, just don't Ukranian Torque wrench them on.

But most of what I heard was make sure you torque them to specs and I would ask what's the specs no one knows.

That would of saved me allot of time.

The point I was trying to make is that don't worry about the little things. If it leaks tighten some more. If it doesn't your all good B)

:beer: