CDN_S4 build thread

CDN_S4

Yeah I picked it up last night. Steering is all sorted out. It actually feels like it rides the same as before. But the front is definitely higher! It looks level but when you sit in it you really feel the rear being lower and the front raised.

So now I will have to go with WJ springs after all. 4" coil lift plus 1" spacer lift. That seems to be the way to go. My coil ordeal isn't quite over yet lol.

Here some pics of the bumper retrofit.

d96f3b8cf5fda255ca95925ee6212b6a.jpg

f348078c2b9628e6163c135e1258fcc9.jpg

Much better!!

And here the blocks

4cb2b9dd5914053f5654f0ae57027741.jpg

99841b22559a0de884f678841efe8be3.jpg

looks good.

I went with rear 1 inch lift spacer adapter and rear 4 inch jeep lift springs. I get just a tad of u joint vibration at highways speeds when not loaded.

That's exactly what I'll get. Where did you get the adapter? Have a pic?

Yep, the beauty of the SFD...keeps the same ride qualities. Angles look good in the pics.

Welcome to the SFD club!

Bumper tuck looks good too. Looks like he was able to take a few inches out, no? Or maybe he was able to mount the push bar farther out than he was able to tuck the rest of the bumper?

Think you can get a close up of the power steering hose that has the bracket connected to the middle of the cross member under the steering rack? The bracket is different than on mine, but I think you'll want to put a piece of metal plate/strap to between it and the cross member looks like it might be under some stress.

Thanks LoudDog for the pic. I'll order that same setup for my rear. You should adjust your rubber sleeve lol.

Hawairish, that appears to be the power steering?! It goes from the PS pump into the axle ? Or pinion... Or whatever this part is called:

5c3b93f00d0a7750272af2493e46566d.jpg

Now the main reason I went with a SFD was to realign all the stock measurements or close to it. So how come my wheels are still this ridiculously toed in?!?! I've played with the camber bolts and this is the best I can get. What gives?!

Should my struts be sitting closer? Are the strut spacers facing the wrong way?

197231c73af17762a4bc775ae12f8378.jpg

4a6ec2d00c5a82eb8c47484ec853afed.jpg

They are angled the same direction as the strut.

2363101eea30e72c3631a205d90dbcd7.jpg

b1196b00b8a8ccbe281946a588c4dd70.jpg

Yeah, I'd see about loosening that bracket and giving it some slack if possible. The steering rack clearly changed over the years, probably when the VG came around. May want to check with KrF to see how they addressed that. I built an extension bracket for mine...was pretty trivial, but again, the hoses/pipes are different.

I mentioned to Colin he may need to loosen brackets of the lines depending on how much the rack was rotated. Though, one thing to note is that all those items stay stationary, but you just want to make sure they're not stressed as-is.

The strut spacers are on wrong unfortunately. When mounted to the unibody, tube portion of the strut spacer should be vertical, not angled. When correct, the upper mounting holes will be directly above the lower holes. The purpose of the of the angles on the spacers is to make that mounting surface on the unibody drop linearly.

The strut spacers look the same as in this DIY and Colin said he tried both sides and this was the only way. It doesn't look as angled in reality as it appears in the photos. But logic dictates that something is pushing in the wrong direction.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/31584-my-pathy-project-lifting/

Ignoring the angle for a moment, if the 3 upper holes on the strut spacer aren't directly over the lower 3 holes, the strut spacer must be installed wrong. And here's why: the SFD moves everything directly downward. If the subframe spacers do that, so must the strut spacers.

All four mounting surfaces on the strut spacers are identical, so in theory they can bolt to either side, in either orientation (presuming the angle doesn't cause one surface to hit the unibody at the bottom of the spacer).

I have my truck notebook with me while traveling this week. It's got all my sketches and measurements taken around the truck, including dimensions, angles, and orientation of the strut towers. I'll see if I can mock up something in SketchUp to illustrate my point.

i really need to stop checking this thread, makes me want all these mods EVEN MORE!!

While i have no experience with SFD's, hawairish's reasoning and points make sense, the point of and SFD is just to relocate everything 4 inches down without changing the geometry of the suspension. I agree the photos look like the angled parts face outward, but it would have to the be only reason you would have camber issues, and no one else has.

Seems like it should be a fairly easy thing to fix, im amazed your mechanic didn't bother trying that, if he even noticed.

Looks awesome once again dude, glad its working out for you, with its teething problems, but still working out.

Did you solve that shimmy you were getting?

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

Thanks Kyle. My mechanic said he tried every option with the strut spacers and this was the only way they went in. But I agree too they must be wrong. He must have missed something.

I'm still getting the shake as my front wheels are still not aligned. Once I've worked this out, I'll know for sure. And I sure as hell hope this will fix the shimmy.

It is a bit of a painful process all in all, but in the end well worth it. The pics don't really show how much higher it really sits when you stand next to it. I washed it last night and I had to get on my tip toes to reach the centre of the hood. I'm 6ft. I now have to actually climb into my car. I love it :)

I've ordered the 4" WJ coils for the rear and a Panhard bracket as well. This will be another week or so before it sits where it will spend the rest of its life.

I can't imagine to try anything higher than this. Too much pain. Lol

• Like 1

Well, the mounting surfaces on the spacers are identical and symmetrical, so they can logically be mounted to either tower location. That's 4 possible mounting scenarios, assuming the lower mount doesn't contact the body for a particular orientation and the spacers are identical instead of mirrored. If they are mirrored, then there are 8 mounting scenarios. That said, there's a 12.5% to 25% chance of getting it right.

Weren't they supposed to be marked?