Horn, A/C, Taillights

brc19761

Hi,

I have been trouble shooting my 1994 Nissan pathfinder LE for days now. Everything was running perfect up until a couple of days ago. First my a/c on the dashboard went out (I have the automatic a/c version). It stopped lighting up. I checked the radio/ac fuse and it was not blown the radio worked but not the a/c. The a/c button would not engage the a/c clutch. I took the unit out took it apart and put it back in. The blower started working. Just blows air and you cannot control the direction of the air, but you can control the speed.

Then I noticed the horn doesn't work and neither do the taillights. I have almost the entire dash apart :). I have plugged and unplugged the relays, but I don't have anything to check to see if they are working. I am betting it is a relay. Could it be the a/c relay (I know where it is at). I checked all fuses and none are blown. I even have the passenger seat out to check the ecu (computer).

What relay (or anything) would cause the a/c unit in the dash not to work, the horn, and the taillights?

Thanks,

brc

So far I have fixed the horn and taillight issue. I used the horn relay out of my hardbody truck and everything started working. Weird thing is I put the old relay out of the pathfinder and it still worked the horn and taillights in my hardbody. I went and bought a a/c relay but it did not make the a/c unit work. I took the new relay and pulled out all of the old relays checking to see if it was something else. But all the old relays worked. Could it be the a/c control unit in the dash. The fan speed works from the blower but that is all.

Is there any other connections or relays I could check for the a/c?

So far I have fixed the horn and taillight issue. I used the horn relay out of my hardbody truck and everything started working. Weird thing is I put the old relay out of the pathfinder and it still worked the horn and taillights in my hardbody. I went and bought a a/c relay but it did not make the a/c unit work. I took the new relay and pulled out all of the old relays checking to see if it was something else. But all the old relays worked. Could it be the a/c control unit in the dash. The fan speed works from the blower but that is all.

Is there any other connections or relays I could check for the a/c?

I think you just might be low on freon. I had the same problem and fixed it with a can of AC Pro and now it blows cold again.

To get it to suck in the freon you will have to get the AC clutch to engage. Go and unscrew the 3 screws holding the radiator reservoir tank so you can get at the Dual Pressure Switch. Unplug the switch and use a bent paper clip to trick the AC system to engage the clutch. If it still doesn't engage then you have serious problems. If it does engage then you are in luck and it should take you about 10 mins to top it up. Just be sure to follow the instructions and set the gage properly so you don't overfill and stress the pump.

You can also check to make sure your Ambient Sensor is plugged in since you have the Automatic version. HA-61 in the FSM. Good luck

Thanks I will definitely try the paper clip thing. I am pretty sure mine is something electrical. My auto air cond. that sets inside the dash doesn't even work right. You can't change the different flow of the air. I took it out and took it a part (twice), but no luck. I have been reading in the fsm. Hopefully my brain will come up with something.

Thanks for the info.

brc

There is a controller or amplifier or whatever nissan calls it for the auto climate control. I think its above where the pedals are somewhere. I remember my friend's pathy had that break on his. And it had similar symptoms. The fan worked but nothing else.

• 11 months later...

Did you get the ad working. As mine does not work. The light on the ac switch does not come on. I have tried hot wiring the relay so that the clutch works and tried adding 134a but no luck. Any help would be appreciated

When it comes to the ac replacing a few if the o rings will solve your a/c clutch problem and when you take out your a/c control unit make sure your lights are turned in tight cuz if they are loose they won't light and that will also cause problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get the ad working. As mine does not work. The light on the ac switch does not come on. I have tried hot wiring the relay so that the clutch works and tried adding 134a but no luck. Any help would be appreciated

Have you tried wiggling the fan speed lever a bit (slightly up and down) to see if the AC light would come on? I noticed this a couple of days ago on my Pathy and if I wiggle the lever while at the "1" setting, for example, the AC light would come on. I did it a few times until the AC light would remain on. The fan speed functionality of the lever did not have any problem.