wheels and such

Guest cheese

ok so i searched and searched. but i still didnt find what i needed.

i have lego wheels on my 94 path, and i want some new ones. well i found some that are inexpensive and look good. i was planning on getting something with a lower backspacing so that i could have a little bit wider stance and have the tires stick out more.

well i want to know if i go with a 15x7 with a 3.75 backspacing, would i have and rubing issuses? since the tire sticks out farhter would it hit any part of the body? sorry for the newb quaestions im 17 and this is my first veichle and i have found the pleasures of offroading and its been great so far. i have 31x10.5s if you need to know.

my pathy is stock right now, but i plan on doing a t-bar crank and some JGC coils out back in the summer(if the rents will allow it).

thanks alot

The T-bars are your front "springs". Look at the underside of your truck, you'll see a bar running along the bottom from the front wheel area( lower control arm to be precise) back to the middle of the truck where they run into a crossmember. Inside that crossmember are the adjusters.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I've researched this on the board but still haven't been able to find the definitive answer I've needed, so I'm posting on this thread. I just picked up a set of 15x8 rims with 31x10.5 tires with about 3 inches of backspacing (according to the seller). The wheels stick out about an inch past the fender flares right now.

Lately, parking lots and U-turns have been a bitch... :P

The truck feels more stable with the wider track and it looks pretty cool too, but I just wonder if the 3" of backspacing is screwing me over. I'll try to take some pics later today and post them for you guys to see.

From my searches, the minimum backspacing people have been recommending is 3.25" to 3.5". My question is, will a 3" bodylift give me enough clearance for wheels with 3" of backspacing?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the long post! :cool2:

-Eric

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tobwco
3.75" on 15x8 was the magic # for me. 2" sus, 3" body. Still had to bust out the sawzall though.

For what size tires? Are they bigger than 31? I've not heard anyone needing to do a fender trim with the 31's and I hope I don't need to break out the sawz all.

These days I was in a bookshop and I saw a magazine "Four Wheeler" (april 2005) and in a special section named "What Hits, What Fits" they list a lot of trucks and what tire size is stock and higher sizes that can fit and what to do to fit them.

I find it interesting so I bought it.

They listed pre-'96 and '96-'04 Pathfinders.

Pre-'96:

31x10.5 - stock vehicle

32x11.5 - minor trimming

33x12.5 - minor trimming plus 4" susp lift

'96-'04:

31x10.5 - stock vehicle

That's interesting. We could update them with more information. B)

More like pre-95:

31x10.5- could sag over the years and require cranking of the Tbard or trimming on stock suspension, especially since many Pathy's did not come with this big of tire, but rather smaller...

32x11.5- could be done if cranked slighly above stock suspension, and probably sllightly trimming of plastic fender trim, etc. May be anywhere from "mild" to serious carving

33x whatever- they magically jump to a mythical 4" body lift (haven't seen it, but it would be a pain if somebody ever found one) as the answer. Um, no. Much work in the suspension, along with the body, and ok it can be done. Its better to have the additional work done in the suspension anyways.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

No, it says "susp. lift". They're going by the Trailmaster lift kit cause that's the only one they know about.

Yeah, I guess so.

They also say:

"In most cases, we cover the numbers as we know them. However, in other cases we state the best possible information available to us. Because we don't own every pickup or SUV ever made, and don't have the resources to test-fit every possible tire size,we rely heavily on suspension manufacturers and reader-generated data for the information you see here......... If you find a situation listed below that doesn't seem to jive with your own experience,write or send us an e-mail; we'll look into it and make changes accordingly. Email comments to fourwheelereditor@primedia.com."

You Pathfinder gurus could send them more information! :D