VG34 Build Thread

Well, I converted to a 5spd about 5 years ago and a dana 44 front axle about 2 years ago..actually lost some weight with the SAS. My VH45 Pistons are pretty dirty but I hope they work. I also hope the machine shop can copy MR.510's VG33 rod bushings so I can use my VG33 bushings. My VG33 (the spare I purchased to rebuild) is looking pretty rough and if these pistons and this VG33 don't work I am out a grand :(

Edited by system_f

Mr.510 is still planning on producing top mount turbo headers for the pathy :lol: So hopefully down the road I can run that with a Z31 turbo and maybe Nistune will eventually support our ECU so we can tune it up a bit.

Well, I converted to a 5spd about 5 years ago and a dana 44 front axle about 2 years ago..actually lost some weight with the SAS. My VH45 Pistons are pretty dirty but I hope they work. I also hope the machine shop can copy MR.510's VG33 rod bushings so I can use my VG33 bushings. My VG33 (the spare I purchased to rebuild) is looking pretty rough and if these pistons and this VG33 don't work I am out a grand :(

Oh I bet you will be fine with your setup, what size tires are you running? Stock gearing?

Id say as long as they don't have chips on the skirts then they should be fine. Id imagine the machine shop could figure it out, if worst comes to worst just try and find those VG30DE/DETT rods.

On another note...this has been sitting on my couch for a couple of months...

GWr4klol.jpg

1Q26ElRl.jpg

qYlYkwNl.jpg

• Like 2

VG34ET... the stock turbos from the 300zx ran at about 9.5 psi... with boost jets people run them safely at about 14psi :)...

I wouldn't mind running it around 5-7psi with no intercooler hah! That would be cool

Pretty housing. I am running 4.56's in the front and 4.63s in the rear with 33" tires. I have an older WD21 transmission so I have the 4:1 first and the .85 over drive and turn right below 3000rpm at 70. I would like to go with 4.88/4.90 gears but then I would be turning 3200 rpm at 70.

VG34ET... the stock turbos from the 300zx ran at about 9.5 psi... with boost jets people run them safely at about 14psi :)...

Around 7psi with 7.8:1 pistons/T3 turbo, then down to 5psi in 88-89 with 8.1:1 pistons/T25 turbo.

Stock fuel system on a Z31 maxes out around 13psi. Same point the turbo blows nothing but hot air with the factory pump, 270cc injectors, and tune. NA engines run 180cc injectors. NA 9:1 pistons are the typical go-tos for a mild build running that boost with an intercooler. Around 11psi is when detonation starts without one.

Z32s are entirely different.

will the vg30dett 370cc injectors drop in to the vg33e? You could probably find a stock Z32tt fuel pump no problem.

I don't think they will. I believe even the VG33 injectors aren't a direct swap into a VG30 also (they work but you have to splice the wires and stuff to fit the harness...i think?)

I'm not positive though, anyone here know?

Does anyone have a depth meassurement of the valve cut outs in the VG30's piston? I need to give the machine shop something and those VG33 reliefs are WAYYY too deep.

Sadly I don't have my vg30 pistons here with me :( Sorry man!

So some crappy news. First my machine shop found out my heads were cracked and advised to find a used set. So after we found a different set that looked pretty decent we went ahead and installed them like normal.

Upon installing my cams we found something unusual. With both cams installed and both cam retainer bolts hand tightened, the right hand side basically became really hard to turn, unlike the left side. Both cams spun freely without the bolt tightened but once it was tightened just a bit the right side started to become harder and harder to turn. I bet if I torqued it down to spec it wouldn't spin at all. Its getting hung up on something but its hard to tell with a naked eye. Something in the casting could be bad etc.

So I just took the whole block with the heads on it to the machine shop because I didn't want to waste a new head gasket if all they needed to do was grind it somewhere slightly.

I'll post when I find out some news!

Update: August 20th-23rd, 2014

Just the beginning!

pAeWYkOl.jpg

Fuel rails, cam sprockets, water pump, lower intake, and some plumbing on!

MotRHQQl.jpg

Rocker assembly, lifters, crank sprocket on!

z2da6JUl.jpg

Didn't manage to get a picture with the timing belt on it without the cover but its under there don't worry!

Pr0hEaRl.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

subscribed! Looks great! What area you located in? SoCal I hope? :) I may try to tackle this once my other car gets out of the shop...

Ah close! Arizona :)

Today my buddy and I are actually putting the motor back in so hopefully all goes well!

Motor is in, as in the bell housing is bolted up and motor mounts are on! Didn't end up taking any pics yet since my hands were gunked and we quickly had to clean up in the middle of a dust storm. (Thanks Arizona)

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. Will definitely have a first start video.

• Like 1

Awesome! I want to do this mod... how long did it take to get everything put together? Wondering if it's worth the cost for parts + labor since I dont have my own shop to swap the motors out....

Lets see, it definitely costs a pretty penny if you did it the way I did it (basically replaced everything important.) My buddy and I pulled the motor in about 5 hours with no lift or nice power/air tools.

Now going back in took a bit longer because we ran into a few problems with my aftermarket motor mounts. That took about 20 hours, again, in my backyard hah! Someone that will be able to keep it at a shop with a bunch of tools shouldn't take that long most likely.

If you have to have a shop do it id probably just do a VG33 swap because it will save you close to $1000 in just machining costs. That doesn't including finding some VH45 pistons which is pretty hard to do now unless you want to buy them from Infiniti for an arm and a leg.

Update: September 6th-7th, 2014

Alright, here's where we are at. Everything is together but we ran into a problem with the battery and thought it was bad so we swapped it out for a new one. The cables also look bad so i'll be replacing those too. More to come within the week. It's so close but I can't hear it run yet!!! All I got to hear was it cranking over a bunch of times.

hz1xg66l.jpg

nwrxdbZl.jpg

Edited by conor1123
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...