New Injector, still getting code 51

mikestewart395

I was so happy this morning, my Pathy had been sitting in the drive for 3 weeks waiting on me to replace that injector. The night I tested it around the block it was perfect. This morning I put the tags back on it and drove to work. In second gear I let it rev on up. Before it was in limp mode, I couldn't go over about 2300 rpm. So this morning it was up to 4k rpm, I'm like "Hell Yea"!!!! Then it sputtered and backfired, went back down to 2300 rpm. Seriously, I wanted to drive it right into a tree. I am getting a little sick of this (where's waldo) crap. The code it keeps throwing out is injector circuit. Should I just strip and replace the injector wires from the injectors to the ECM?

It's getting close to getting scrapped. I haven't been able to wheel for about 6 months because of this problem. In my excitement I was going after work to pick up the winch and finally take it out in the woods again. Once again it let me down.

Edited by mikestewart395

Yea, I have 2 injectors. To test to see which was the faulty one I cut the wires one by one. The one on the right when taken out of the circuit, the engine started and ran the same. So I replaced that one. I am curious if I have trash in my tank or something clogging the lines. It is weird it goes in limp mode periodically, usually only during climbing a slight bridge on my way to work. Once I get on the highway I can usually get it up to 60 mph and it is fine, but if I do a u-turn or climb a hill it will start back firing and sputtering. On the test run this morning on the new injector it did hit 4k rpm for about 5 sec. then limp mode kicked back in. Mysteriously just as I was climbing the bridge. I should shoot a video of it today maybe. Anyway, I have had enough of it. I haven't been able to wheel in months because of this stupid problem. I'm going to put it on Craigslist monday. Sad to see it go but I've lost a lot of good wheeling time this year.

I did, several times over the past 3 months. At lunch today I left and punched the gas, dang thing climbed to 5k rpm till the belts were screaming. Now it drives fine. I forgot that the sending unit access was on top of the tank, I have easy access to it. I'm going to pull it tonight or tomorrow and take a look into the tank. I'm having a nagging feeling there is something in getting sucked in during my u-turns and hill climbs. That's when limp mode kicks in.

check the wiring to you MAF sensor, get it running and wiggle the wires and see if it gets worse or better my pathfinder the same thing. Starting sputtering and went into limp mode, had a corroded and broken wire to sensor.

im not saying its the maf but would hurt to try

Edited by ANDY

You cut the wires to diagnose to injector? :scratchhead: I pull the spark plugs one at a time

Mike's 88 only has the two injectors for the whole system, so pulling plugs wouldn't tell him anything like it would on an MPFI rig.

Good point, I'm guilty of forgetting that myself...

I did, several times over the past 3 months. At lunch today I left and punched the gas, dang thing climbed to 5k rpm till the belts were screaming. Now it drives fine. I forgot that the sending unit access was on top of the tank, I have easy access to it. I'm going to pull it tonight or tomorrow and take a look into the tank. I'm having a nagging feeling there is something in getting sucked in during my u-turns and hill climbs. That's when limp mode kicks in.

Ok... This is starting to piss me off, and I don't even own the damn thing!

B

• Like 1