What Type Of Oil Should I Use

Hi,

I have a 2008 Pathfinder Se with 73,000 + miles. It has come time for my first oil change since I purchased my Pathfinder. I have never paid for someone to change my oil in my life and never will as long as I am able to DIY.

My question is What weight ( just going to cheat on this question b/c don't have my owner's manual with me) and how many quarts should I put in my 2008 Pathfinder? I will be running conventional high millage oil. So I will even throw out the question as to what brand Is the best? I personally have used Castrol my whole life but if something works better in the 4.0L I will do what's best for the Pathfinder.

I ask the question b/c I have a 1997 hardbody and a 1994 Pathfinder. I live in the Southeast where temps get pretty toasty in the summer and pretty mild, but sometimes cold winters. So, for example I would run Castrol 20-W-50 in my hardbody (4cyl) in the summer and run 10-W-30 in the winter.

I have no idea about the 2005-2012 Pathfinders. So that is why I am asking about what kind of oil I should use. I don't know what the previous owner ran in it b/c I bought it from a dealer. I know synthetic would be the best. But I have to many vehicles to change oil in and the synthetic is pretty expensive. Also, I have lived by the 3 month 3,000 mile rule my whole life. But I know on newer vehicles the oil change range is a little longer. What is recommended for the 2005-2012 Pathfinders?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

brc

Bombshells, I have done some research in recent time . But I know there are more knowagleable people on here so chime in and correct me .... in my opinion.....

Stay away from "high mileage" oils until needed . They can contain additives to swell seals and used prematurely uses the ability down the road to stop leaks and sometime leading to premature wear.

Synthetic isn't "best" in all engines , it has a longer life but it skips pass seal , making leaks worse. It a different "style" of lubrication, it's rolling , instead of a saturating. So I would think there more castoff and wouldn't have that pretty oily metal layer to help early startup and because it responds to impact forces different , things like lifter noise are more audible.

So if conventional works , I said stay with it.

Bombshells, I have done some research in recent time . But I know there are more knowagleable people on here so chime in and correct me .... in my opinion.....

Stay away from "high mileage" oils until needed . They can contain additives to swell seals and used prematurely uses the ability down the road to stop leaks and sometime leading to premature wear.

Synthetic isn't "best" in all engines , it has a longer life but it skips pass seal , making leaks worse. It a different "style" of lubrication, it's rolling , instead of a saturating. So I would think there more castoff and wouldn't have that pretty oily metal layer to help early startup and because it responds to impact forces different , things like lifter noise are more audible.

So if conventional works , I said stay with it.

• 2 weeks later...