I'm Roo!

Roo

I just bought a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder XE, with 216k on the clock, as my very first car that's mine and I have nothing but great things to say about it. I did a quick google search to find a forum for Pathfinders and stumbled across this forum, needless to say I felt obligated to join! I've always wanted a Toyota 4runner but this is a fantastic compromise and I believe I am falling in love with my new-to-me Pathfinder :D.

Here's some pictures I snapped just hours after I bought it.. http://imgur.com/a/DDvQK

• Like 1

Outstanding. She's a beauty, great catch. It looks in remarkable condition, is the inside as nice as the exterior?

Thank you!! The interior has a few issues but nothing you wouldn't expect from a nearly 20 year old vehicle, it's very clean though and and everything works as it should. The only major thing I've noticed so far is that the clutch slips a little but not bad and has plenty of life left in it for around town driving and jotting back and forth to work and home. I do think it'd be a good idea to take it to a Nissan dealership to get it looked over and let me know of any unforseen issues I don't yet know about, in time though!

Today will be my second day owning it and I am very very happy with my purchase and the truck.. it's the first Nissan I've ever driven and in my family. I'm so happy with it :D

Welcome and congrats on your 'new' Pathy. Ahh yes, a stock champagne XE... Mine looked like that when I first bought it as well. ;)

016.jpg

When was the last time the timing belt was changed? It is recommended every 105k miles, and is very important...

B

Welcome and congrats on your 'new' Pathy. Ahh yes, a stock champagne XE... Mine looked like that when I first bought it as well. ;)

016.jpg

When was the last time the timing belt was changed? It is recommended every 105k miles, and is very important...

B

That's so awesome! Looks way better than mine haha... in time I suppose I can ascend to higher levels of awesomeness with my Pathy :D.

As for the timing belt, I have no idea, nor did the used car dealership have any information on the maitenance history of it... I do know that the oil was changed semi recently... the sticker on my windshield says that I have 2k more miles to go till I need my oil changed again, will probably listen to the sticker as I don't know how well it was taken care of before me. Though I am going to baby it and keep it happily running for a very long time, first car love and all of that good stuff! But I digress, I'll be swinging by a respectable shop once it's financially feasible and get a print out of everything that's wrong mechanically speaking with my new Pathy.

Another tidbit that I didn't know, apparently I have an alarm system? Though the key fob apparently had not been with the truck when it was sold to the dealership, when I stopped to get gas today it started going off with the drivers side door unlocked and open while fueling up, the only fix is to put the key in and turn it to the accessory setting.. I suppose I should swing by a Nissan dealership and talk to them about it and see if I can get an actual key fob? When and if I do that, I would also like to get my tachometer and speedometer fixed... the tach never worked and randomly jumps all over the place as it doesn't know what's going on, and the speedo some times doesn't pick up that it needs to do something till I am at 25/30 mph then it works fine. Aaah the quirks of a used car! Overall I am LOVING it, I should probably make a post in the correrct category though about these quirks and the best way to go about fixing them... this is my introduction post afterall and wow it's getting long!

well you've stumbled into the right bunch of weirdos.

everything you'll ever need to learn about your Pathfinder can be found here.

welcome

and great find.btw

Thank you!! I am quite happy I found the Pathfinder and you fine folks. I'm definitely looking forward to the nice long life that I know is still in my Pathy...

My tach bounces around like that too. In my case, I think, it's due to a partially failing alternator, I think it's got a bad diode or something but still allows to send decent charge to my battery so I never replaced it; take your Pathy to your local Auto Zone / O'Reilly's and ask for a battery and alternator test, it'll be free. Your speedometer malfunction is due to a bad speed sensor in your transmission, the little teeth on the pinion are worn down. These are easy to replace and generally less than $80. You can get a key fob off ebay and program it to your truck via the little box underneath the drivers seat.

To program a new key fob, first locate the box under the driver seat and push your finger down through the little hole, there you'll find a button. Hold that button down for a few seconds and you should get a horn beep, after that press and hold the alarm lock button on your new key fob to pair it to the vehicle. That should do it. A key fob from ebay is only $15 - $30 and there are lots to choose from.

The dealer is going to charge you $110 an hour for diagnostic fee to determine the issue with your tach and speedo, and then probably 3 times as much for a key fob as what you could find on ebay. I bought one for my truck but I can't get my alarm to respond, it's dead.

Edited by gv280z

Wow, that's excellent information, I'll definitely be buying a fob off of eBay and programming it myself! Yay for doing things on my own.

I guess this starts the road of completing projects by my own hands on my pathy. Fun stuff!! :D

Welcome to NPORA !!!

A good rule to follow when ever purchasing a used car/truck/boat what ever is you have no idea when any maint. was last done so plan on doing it all as soon as possible.

The timing belt as was mentioned is a very big thing, if it decides to snap while idling in your driveway or going down the road in the middle of no where, either way means new engine. There is no warning, no squeak or squeal it will just break.

Change the oil and filters since you don't know when they were last done, you don't need to do everything at once just make a plan to do it.

Download the free service manual from the garage section, read it, get to know it, you WILL use it. Unless you plan to pay the dealer a fortune.

If you didn't get the owners manual they can be found online for free too, again read through it, you may find something you didn't know your pathfinder can do.

welcome again, enjoy your stay !!

Edited by ahardb0dy

Welcome to NPORA !!!

A good rule to follow when ever purchasing a used car/truck/boat what ever is you have no idea when any maint. was last done so plan on doing it all as soon as possible.

The timing belt as was mentioned is a very big thing, if it decides to snap while idling in your driveway or going down the road in the middle of no where, either way means new engine. There is no warning, no squeak or squeal it will just break.

Change the oil and filters since you don't know when they were last done, you don't need to do everything at once just make a plan to do it.

Download the free service manual from the garage section, read it, get to know it, you WILL use it. Unless you plan to pay the dealer a fortune.

If you didn't get the owners manual they can be found online for free too, again read through it, you may find something you didn't know your pathfinder can do.

welcome again, enjoy your stay !!

Okay thank you :) that's probably a good rule of thumb to follow especially as I don't want to pee away the money I spent and will be spending for payments all because the timing belt decided to take a crap on me. Any idea how much a new one will cost and should I go to a general automotive shop for it?

I picked up the service manual but have yet to read it thoroughly, and will be getting my hands on an owners manual too as one wasn't included for me when I bought the truck.

I do have a plan of sorts of things to get done to ensure that my new pathy continues to run for a very long time.. at the top of the list is the timing belt, then an oil change and various filters, I think after that I'll replace the clutch since it feels like it's slipping but not too bad especially since I am babying the truck as a whole.

Wish the exterior of mine was as clean as that, mines a 93.

9imYJcv.jpg

Awh shucks.. you're too kind! At least you have the silver/champange Pathy too, I think the color is absolutely beautiful the only other color I'd want to have is White :P

Welcome to the forum !

If you are looking for an economic and scalable solution for a rear lift or level your truck, come and visit http://4x4design.com/Pathfinder_R50_96-04.php (near the bottom of the page)

* we also make custom stickers * http://4x4design.com/Stickers_Decals.html - Just ask for quote !

Cheers.

Steve.

Welcome to the forum !
If you are looking for an economic and scalable solution for a rear lift or level your truck, come and visit http://4x4design.com/Pathfinder_R50_96-04.php (near the bottom of the page)
* we also make custom stickers * http://4x4design.com/Stickers_Decals.html - Just ask for quote !
Cheers.
Steve.

Hey, thank you! I now have my eye on one of the stickers.. specifcally this "NPORA" one. While my Pathy is still 100% stock and I've never been one to have stickers on a vehicle of any kind, I am quite fond of that one in the picture :P.

14281181.png