Another Auto Tranny Post

Jacob211

I know about the bad coolers with loosing reverse and what not. But this isn't my case. Bought my 95 XE for $500 with 185k. The reason was because the tranny had no reverse. So I bought a used tranny for $500. $1000 for a first truck (not bad). The new (used) tranny had unknown miles. Now the pathy has 204k and more tranny issues. A few months ago I would be driving and my tranny would downshift (into what seemed to be 2nd or 3rd) and wouldn't shift at all. I would pull over shut off the engine and turn it back on and it would be fine. It would only happen once a week then it became once a day and for the last month it has been stuck in "limp mode" from what I've read. And yes I still have reverse. I've even disconnected the battery over night and no luck. There was a code stored in the TCM for VSS (vehicle speed sensor). I've searched the forum and haven't found problem like this from anyone else and haven't replaced the VSS yet. Is it electrical? VSS? bad TCM? Anything helps. Thanks!

It sounds like a bad vss to me. It may be telling the ecu that you're spinning the tires and that is what throws it into the "stuck in 3rd gear" limp mode.

Edited by adamzan

It sounds like a bad vss to me. It may be telling the ecu that you're spinning the tires and that is what throws it into the "stuck in 3rd gear" limp mode.

Precisely this. Two sensors are telling the ECU different things so it goes in to limp mode and sticks 3rd gear.

If you replace the VSS make sure to get a new pinion gear for the VSS as well.

This issue does make me wonder if it is just the pinion gear wearing out. Have you noticed anything strange with the speedometer readings like quick momentary jumps by the needle on the speedometer or it not reading till you get above 10MPH?

Speedometer works when I get to 40mph. But if I hit the dash while driving it works at any speed. Sometimes it works from a stop other times I hit the dash or wait until I get up to 40mph

• 2 weeks later...

Still having troubles. Unplugged all trans plugs and water came out of the wire lume on almost all of them. Blew out all connectors and it would shift to second for a second and then back to "fail safe" don't have money for new truck or trans. This is getting irritating.

Does the weather have any effect on it?.My old 95 did this after a wind shield change. It turns out where the trim bolts down on the side of the glass, the threaded inserts were deformed and let water come in. Not saying this is where yours is leaking but maybe you have a leak somewhere.