Stuck Brake Drum

mikestewart395

I oiled it, tapped it with hammer, mallet, then beat it, cursed it. It isn't budging. It spins freely so brakes aren't engaged. The 2 screw holes will not hold a bolt, threads are rusted and stripped. Am I missing a trick here? I have replaced shoes on drum brakes before, but this has me miffed. Also used a small torch to heat the center area , that trick didn't work either.

101_0048_zps70c2d294.jpg

101_0047_zps5c2a087e.jpg

101_0046_zpsd2668b17.jpg

Well, if the holes are rusted out, it is probably rust holding the drum on. 2 options I can think of is to hit the drum on the face right by the holes with a hand sledge fairly hard, but alternating from one side to the other. That might break it loose, and penetrant might be a good idea as well.

I'm pretty sure those threaded holes are M8x1.25 which equals .315Dx.0492P. a 5/16-18 thread equals .3125Dx.0555P so probably close enough to chase out the threads for that short distance, otherwise drill and tap, but it will be hard to get sufficient and full thread depth in the thin metal when it is pressed ip against a face like that so I'd try hammering first...

B

• Like 1

I do not have a tap and die set

Well, that definitely means penetrant and hammers!

B

Looks like a large puller might work with those three tabs on the OD?

Edited by Precise1

Get that on a jack stand instead of trusting a hydraulic jack! (I see the tire under it, I'd rather see a real jack stand thoug and being used as the support over a floor jack that looks about the size of ones I've seen fail many times over)

Be persistent it will eventually give in. It is but machine, you are man, you are smarter than it!

I'd try wire wheeling or just scraping with a screwdriver to get at some of the corrosion where the drum meets the hub, to make it easier to get oil in there and to make it slide easier when the BFH finally breaks it loose.

Get that on a jack stand instead of trusting a hydraulic jack! (I see the tire under it, I'd rather see a real jack stand thoug and being used as the support over a floor jack that looks about the size of ones I've seen fail many times over)

Be persistent it will eventually give in. It is but machine, you are man, you are smarter than it!

LOL. My drive is at an angle, jack stands are scary there. Wheels chocked, only one wheel up at a time, that rim will stop a disaster.

I got the drum off finally though. It took sever reapps of pen oil and about 20 min of hammering and a whole lot of curses.

• Like 1