So This Happened

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

IMG_20140612_163152_zps22efe2c3.jpg

IMG_20140612_163218_zps0c6d8f46.jpg

I was working from one of my favorite cafe's when a guy came into the shop asking if anyone owned the 'Toyota Pathfinder' out front. I spoke up and said I owned a Nissan Pathfinder parked out front. He replied, "Well, I've got bad news for you. I just hit your car."

I'm grateful that he came in and found me. He was such a great guy to be hit by...if that's possible. He owned up to his mistake and felt terrible. He gave me his insurance info, his private cell number, and his office number. By the afternoon I had a quote and his insurance is sending a check.

So I'm not sure if it's clear to everybody else what this means...

It's time to have a bumper built! I'd build my own, but we moved into the city last year and all my shop equipment is in storage at my in-laws. I sold the welder, chop saw, and the rest of metal fab tools before we moved knowing I wouldn't have a garage for some time. Fortunately I found a great shop in the area to custom fab me something up. The Pathy goes in for reconstructive surgery in a week and a half.

I'll keep you posted on what comes of it.

• Like 1

Im torn. I want to tell, you "bad luck" but, I also want to see where you go with this. Either way, you are lucky that you had a good, honest, person to not just drive away after the collision. :)

• Like 2

Does this mean i can buy parts? lol

Nice!! and sucks? idk, i saw "building a bumper" and went "WOHOO!!!

But i too know what its like to get an accident with someone who is genuine, i rear ended someone a while back and they were super apologetic, even though "technically" it was my fault, she wanted to pay me to have it fixed. it was great, restored a little faith in humanity. But then i watched the news and lost it all again... :blush:

Keep us posted!

-Kyle

P.S. maybe taking off the Toyota plate underneath you licence will help with the whole "Toyota pathfinder" thing. :laugh:

• Like 1

Does this mean i can buy parts? lol

Nice!! and sucks? idk, i saw "building a bumper" and went "WOHOO!!!

But i too know what its like to get an accident with someone who is genuine, i rear ended someone a while back and they were super apologetic, even though "technically" it was my fault, she wanted to pay me to have it fixed. it was great, restored a little faith in humanity. But then i watched the news and lost it all again... :blush:

Keep us posted!

-Kyle

P.S. maybe taking off the Toyota plate underneath you licence will help with the whole "Toyota pathfinder" thing. :laugh:

Ha, that's funny. I hadn't seen that. It's from the previous owner but it lends credibility to they guy's assumption that it was a Pathfinder....oh, and the fact that he was amped up after hitting someone else's car. :-)

In all honesty, while that sucks, you got hit by the best guy possible! Hats off to him for not being a jerk...

Also, there isn't much damage from what I can tell, most of it is just tearing the plastic and lights off. Hell, some guys just take that off anyway. Depending on the check and your needs, you should be able to get a nice bumper made that will make this a thing of the past (or just have the plastic replaced). Don't worry, she will live on... ;)

B

In all honesty, while that sucks, you got hit by the best guy possible! Hats off to him for not being a jerk...

Also, there isn't much damage from what I can tell, most of it is just tearing the plastic and lights off. Hell, some guys just take that off anyway. Depending on the check and your needs, you should be able to get a nice bumper made that will make this a thing of the past (or just have the plastic replaced). Don't worry, she will live on... ;)

B

Yea, I'm really not that worried about it. The guy was great and it didn't ruin my day at all...in my world, it's just stuff and stuff gets broken all the time. It's not worth getting bent out of shape over.

The best bit for me is that insurance is paying me to replace my bumper that I'd already begun planning to replace, so in reality it's an fortunate loss.

You also lucked out in the damage department... I take it he swung into the space incorrectly, but at least he didn't really damage the energy-absorbing metal. I would say it's time for a new bumper and clear corners. :aok:

Either way, sorry to hear about it, and hope it all pans out.

Cheers, and welcome :D

You also lucked out in the damage department... I take it he swung into the space incorrectly, but at least he didn't really damage the energy-absorbing metal. I would say it's time for a new bumper and clear corners. :aok:

Either way, sorry to hear about it, and hope it all pans out.

Cheers, and welcome :D

Yea, that's exactly what happen. His rear bumper caught and snagged my front bumper. It really is pretty simple damage and looks worse than it is. He did pull out ever so slightly the energy absorbing beam across the front. The estimate for repair came in repairing all of that and is well above what I'm spending on a custom bumper.

I drop the rig off next weekend for the build-out of the bumper. I'll be sure to report back on my impressions of the shop and some shots of the bumper when it's all said and done.

• 4 weeks later...