Brake fluid sucked into engine?

ahardb0dy

So I was using some de-greaser under the hood of the hardbody today after work, have a power steering leak and was just trying to get everything as grease free as I can before the truck goes to my mech. buddy.

I hosed all the degreaser off, wasn't concerned too much with water getting into anything as it's not like I can drive it right now anyway ( I was careful where I sprayed the water anyway)

I noticed the master cylinder is low on brake fluid, I had filled it a few days ago, i can see the master cylinder is leaking from the rear as there is fluid on the booster and was planning on having it replaced once I get it running.

No brake fluid anywhere under the truck at all.

After I finished hosing off the engine and under the hood I let it dry for a few minutes than decided to try to start the engine, it started right up but I was getting a LOT of white smoke out the exhaust, The radiator is out of the truck and any water in the block is just what I haven't drained out yet.

I read online that if the master cylinder is leaking into the brake booster the fluid can be sucked into the engine causing the white smoke, I also know it may be a head gasket or head crack.

Being the brake fluid is low and none is on the ground ( or in the wheels) does it sound likely that the brake fluid is being sucked into the engine?

Guess I need a new brake booster as well.

If the master brake booster is bad and it is sucking brake fluid like that it is in the blowby hoses as well. Check those.

I would look to see if some water got in somewhere when you hosed the engine off though.

Definitely have brake fluid in the vacuum hose, removed the end from the booster and it started dripping out. Started the truck with the hose off but my finger over the end and no white smoke at first but after about a minute started smoking. Shut it off.

Wonder if I pull the hose off again and shoot some carb cleaner in the hose to help clean out the brake fluid and the manifold where the hose connects?

Guess I'll be looking for a used booster

You might as well Seafoam that beehotch after you have replaced the booster. It should clean out the brake fluid and you get to have the fun smoke show for the neighbors. I've got a spare for my truck that I'm willing to part with, but I'm not sure if the VG30E booster is the same as the KA24E.

The VG booster is different part number than the KA, I think the diaphragm's are bigger on the VG, I'm sure it would still work. Going to hit the junkyards Sunday, I have a big list !!