How do you lossen power steering pump to

bwd111

loosen the lock bolt in front, than loosen the bolt accessible thru the pass. inner fender, I use a long extension, you may need to pry the power steering pump away from the block, I use a large pry bar, be careful what you pry against, pic below:

kw7dg.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

Exactly. You will need to loosen the stop bolt, then turn the tensioning bolt counter clockwise quite a bit to get enough play to remove the belt. You may want to use a speed handle or a slow air gun/ratchet/cordless drill. It is a good idea to lubricate the threads first, and you may want to loosen the pivot bolt for the PS unit, depending on movement.

Be careful tightening it back up, it is easy to over tension belts with this system.

B

The big "pivot" bolt is best accessed through the holes in the PS pump pulley (they're there for that reason) - you'll probably have to rotate (or bump over) the engine to get the hole to line up with the bolt. Then, there's a lock not on the adjuster, then the adjuster bolt itself (both below the pump). I've never had to pry on anything to adjust it.

Edit: in the diagram above, the adjuster lock nut is indicated by the big arrow. The adjuster bolt is indicated by the "turn" arrow. The anchor/pivot bolt is not indicated, but you can see it behind the PS pump pulley.

Edited by ThaBigPerm

i had the same problem . even with the pivot bolt super loose wouldn't move. i remove the pulley with the belt on it , pull bolt out , greased it , put it back by a few turns .... nothing :shrug: . figured the car gods said no . I stretched the new belt with pulley to shaft, then had a beer.

i left the pivot bolt and tensioner bolt loose to see if it loosens , one trail cruise , two burger runs and one spirited run to grocery store , no movement.