Won't Go Over 40 MPH, getting frustrated

mikestewart395

A few months back I ran into a problem where the engine won't go over 3k rpm. So at 55 the engine would shutter and back fire and no matter what it will not go past 3k rpm. The Ecm gave me the code "injector circuit" I commute through city traffic so not going over 55 was something I could live with for a while.

Now going to work yesterday, it started doing the same thing, except now I can not go over 2k rpm, thats about 42 mph. When starting from a stop if I floor the pedal, or get down on it pretty good it will start shaking and stuttering immediately. It is almost like I have trash in the lines, but I put a new fuel filter on a couple weeks ago. I am really getting frustrated here. My plan is this weekend install new fuel injectors, then a couple of weeks new fuel pump, lines then tank. My idea is have everything from fuel tank to injectors be brand new.

Mass air flow sensor. Clean and tighten electrical connector first as sometimes its just bad electrical connection and if problem persists run maf diagnosis test VIA factory service manual. You just described text book Nissan maf issues.

Edited by Nefarious

Not sure if the MAF sensor is included in this part but if it is for $75 surplus brand new part you can't beat it ! Looks like the MAF is on the part.

http://www.oem-surplus.com/nwp/truck-1.htm

top row far right for VG30 auto

second row far left for VG30 auto with cruise

Both say 86-87 D21 but should be the same

You can download the 89 FSM for the hardbody, the engine and EF/EC sections should be the same:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Hardbody/d21_truck_1989.pdf

Edited by ahardb0dy

I had similar symptoms on mine when I first got it, after a couple hours of frustration i realized that choke butterfly was partly closed. When i tracked down the wires for automatic choke i found a loose wire at plug. Repaired plug and it and it went back to running normally. Choke is normally closed has to have signal to open so with engine running look down into TB and make sure choke plate is completely vertical.

Yep. For a while it wouldn't go past 3k, now it won't pass 2k. But it is intermitten.<-- however thats spelled. Coming to work today it would actually go to about 2500, not stuttering.

My 1993 sentry classic did the exact same. It was tbi injected and had intermittent bounce at 2k-2.5k. All the symptoms you described. If the chts doesn't work out I would look at the maf... a bad maf is one of the few symptoms that will put an ecu into limp mode.

Yea, that's what it's doing. If I actually hit 2500 it will start bogging down after a min until I slow to 2000. I use 2000 loosely, it is 2200.

Update though. I just got home, put new batt in my meter, now one injector is reading 1.4 ohm, the other is 1.0. This doesn't sound right does it?

That doesn't sound right, no, check Google or the fsm for injector spec on the tbi model. I know later high impedance injectors are spec at 10-14 ohms, not sure of tbi models though .

The TBIs don't use a choke, all fuel injected bud. :aok:

I'm sorry perhaps you should explain that to the butterfly in my TB under the injectors. "you are not a choke you are an air flow restriction plate :-["

That's the throttle plate.

Break it to the poor thing slowly, though, it might take a minute to sink in if it's thought it's a choke plate all its life.

Anyway, I just took a look at the '89 D21 FSM (because I fill my hard drive with such things) and found the following:

"If one injector malfunctions, it is possible to drive the vehicle and start the engine. But engine speed will not rise over 2800 rpm in order to inform the driver of fail-safe operation while running." (EF&EC 40)

I haven't found a test procedure for the injector malfunction yet that isn't just listening for the click. I guess you could pull the injectors, have someone crank the motor (coil wire pulled), and see which one sprays.

Stupid edit timeout...

EF&EC 121 says they should be around 1.5 ohms. Maybe that 1.0 is suspect?

Picture1_zps4ed7fa9b.png

Unrelated, these old manuals have some really odd illustrations in them..

Picture4_zps38ec9341.pngPicture42_zps02a9cf21.png

It's like pictionary on hallicinogens.

Picture6_zps57a5ab92.png

And for this test, you need Christopher Robin to crouch in the back seat area while somebody else drives.

Sorry, back on topic. Injectors.

Apparently there's a California-only code for a leaking injector. If yours is California-spec, you might check for that as well. I don't know if that failure was tied to limp mode or not, but it apparently trips the check light on those.

I got the FSM from a link somebody posted a while back; might still be in the FSM downloads thread.