How long should the oil light stay on?

Slartibartfast

After reading the oil writeup that got posted a while back, and thinking back on my truck's cold-start lifter tick, I decided to switch from 10W30 to 5W30 (Valvoline dinosaur, with a new Napa filter) and see what happened. The truck starts and runs fine, but the oil pressure light stays on for five seconds or so on cold starts, and often on warm starts as well. (On 10W30, it wouldn't stay on for more than a second unless the engine was extremely cold.) Once it's off, it stays off, and I don't hear any ticking or anything while it's on.

The engine's got almost 172k on it, and I'm not sure how good the previous owner was to it.

I guess it makes sense that a thinner oil would take longer to build pressure given the same restriction. Since the pressure light's not coming on while the truck's in gear, I'm inclined not to worry about it, but it seemed like something to ask about.

What do you guys think? Is the drain-back valve in the filter defective, is my motor too worn for 5W30, is this pretty much normal? Or is there a fourth possibility that I haven't even counted upon?

I probably wouldn't worry about it unless its making more lifter noise or something. I don't remember if it ever caused an issue with mine. But I just don't use those filters anymore.

my VG33 makes the oil light stays on for quite some time on cold starts too, didn't have an issue with the 30. granted I only start it once every week or two, but I think it might just be that it's using the VG30 pressure location which is on the opposite side of the block as the oil filter. Not sure if that matters, but that's my assumption.

If where the harness goes into the pressure switch is wet with oil, replace it.

Otherwise try a difrferent filter next oil change. You have the right amount of oil it it yes?

• 7 months later...

Just an update on this, the oil filter was definitely the problem. Changed it recently with 5W30 and a Union Sangyo filter from work and there's no more lingering oil light. No more Napa filters on this rig!

I meant to hack open the Napa filter and see what was wrong with it, but it was late and I forgot.

Maybe Nissan wanted to make sure the starter didn't dry out. :lol:

Looks like I spoke too soon, it still lingers a little on cold starts (must be the thinner oil). It's still nowhere near as bad as it was before, though.

The one in my friends xterra stays on longer than normal as well. It has a wierd rattle from the passengers side head too...

Mine is starting to stay on longer. Though it is real cold and I haven't changed my oil in 8k