How I started my day

awww man you don't have an LSD? You should have been able to back out of that...so once you went into 4 hi were you able to pull forward and get out? How'd it go with the alternator?

Sometimes the E brake trick works with LSD but with the wheel suspended like that it would take alot to overcome the break away threshold.... Looks like you could drive right through it !

Edited by SkiBumBrian

I don't understand, I thought both tires would pull, he's got one on the ground, why wouldn't it walk him back out? Are you telling me that even with the lsd, the tire in the air would just spin and the other one on the ground would do nothing, like an open diff? I thought that was the whole point to having an lsd that both tires would push regardless of traction..similar to a locker, right?

What's the E-brake trick?

Edited by gv280z

LSD's have a clutch system for each wheel. The WD21s had a break away of around 280 lbs. and the later ones are considerably less, I am sure someone has the #s but it ain't much, 90 lbs. or so I think. If the ratio between the two wheels (one wanting to spin, one not) becomes more than the break away lbs, the free tire will spin making the LSD useless. If you use your E brake you can compensate for the free wheel, braking it to get the clutch for the non spinning wheel to grab. I know this is far from a technical explanation but it may help you understand. There is no true 4WD without lockers....

Also if you are sliding around tapping on your brake can work to lock it up too... And also I know now I seriously need to reinstall the axle bump stops

Nice flex picture though! :D

LSD's have a clutch system for each wheel. The WD21s had a break away of around 280 lbs. and the later ones are considerably less, I am sure someone has the #s but it ain't much, 90 lbs. or so I think. If the ratio between the two wheels (one wanting to spin, one not) becomes more than the break away lbs, the free tire will spin making the LSD useless. If you use your E brake you can compensate for the free wheel, braking it to get the clutch for the non spinning wheel to grab. I know this is far from a technical explanation but it may help you understand. There is no true 4WD without lockers....

Apparently the break away force varied a bit over the years, with 1994 and/or 1995 having the stiffest although I do not recall the exact numbers. Once the R50s were made, the amount of required force was reduced by roughly 1/2.

Yes, the e-brake trick can help sometimes and as txpath4x4 stated, sometimes just dragging the normal brakes does the same thing, and on many different vehicles. It was a standard 'trick' with past American sedans as well.

B

90-95 have same breakaway torque, 260-285 lbs. working properly of course. I found newer ones have as low as 24lbs. Useless. I like the E brake and not hydraulics because you can keep full power to the front and feather the E brake as needed. I think I will eventually swap out the LSD for a mechanical locker. Only way to be sure....