Does 4.0 make a whining noise from the engine? Heres why

byob

The first pic is with the front cover off and looking at the chain. Here is the reason why. The secondary shoes wear out to the tensioner piston. In this case one of the worst I have seen. The secondary shoes cost $5 a piece

004_zpsabab4336.jpg

005_zps63a10f45.jpg

006_zpsacbbee15.jpg

It is a 07 with 80,900 miles. The engine is really clean internally and the client took good care of it

I am assuming the shoe is made of harder plastic. The secondary chain is the same unlike the Juke where the chain and guides are revamped as part of its recall.

This happened on my parents 3.5L. It had 160k km (around there). It was real loud. My dad has a '11 xterra with the 4.0 and I've told him to lookout because his is still under warranty.

Actually $1200 is a good shop price. Book time on the repair is 8-10 hours. It depends on the shop rate as far as labor cost. Generally shop rates are $100-$130 a hour. Total parts comes out to around $200-$250 if you want the drive belt. So in the real world $1200 is my good guy price

Actually $1200 is a good shop price. Book time on the repair is 8-10 hours. It depends on the shop rate as far as labor cost. Generally shop rates are $100-$130 a hour. Total parts comes out to around $200-$250 if you want the drive belt. So in the real world $1200 is my good guy price

yeah 1200 is a good price. for RWD VQ40's we charge 9 hours to do a timing chain, and FWD VQ we charge 12 hours. at our shop rate of 112.50$ (Nissan Dealership) takes me about 6 hours to do them, (don't call me a thief because i'm good at my job please...)

• 2 weeks later...

yeah 1200 is a good price. for RWD VQ40's we charge 9 hours to do a timing chain, and FWD VQ we charge 12 hours. at our shop rate of 112.50$ (Nissan Dealership) takes me about 6 hours to do them, (don't call me a thief because i'm good at my job please...)

I don't call the mechanics thieves, its the service writers or whatever. The place that did my mothers wanted to charge her 8 hours worth of labour just for the diagnostic...And in the end they told me they had to "call nissan canada" to find out what it was. I beat them down to eliminating that 8 hours and they only billed parts and actual labour time. This of course after we threatened to go to the BBB. fskcin' crooks. They knew damn well what was wrong and just tried to pull a fast one.

I don't call the mechanics thieves, its the service writers or whatever. The place that did my mothers wanted to charge her 8 hours worth of labour just for the diagnostic...And in the end they told me they had to "call nissan canada" to find out what it was. I beat them down to eliminating that 8 hours and they only billed parts and actual labour time. This of course after we threatened to go to the BBB. fskcin' crooks. They knew damn well what was wrong and just tried to pull a fast one.

Irks me with situations like that..... makes my job so much harder to do because people assume I just want their money.....

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

You and me both man. We aren't the ones driving around in expensive cars. Yet we do more work than anyone.

No kidding! I own a 94 pathfinder, a 89 rx7 (not running yet) and a 74 rx2 (needs major body work) and yet I can't repair them or really work on then because can't really afford it. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi,

I own a 2005 4 liter Pathfinder which recently started flashing a low oil pressure signal. The mechanic replaced the oil pump but the problem has persisted. The signal is preceded by a rattling sound. What could be the problem and the solution?

Raban