what types of bulbs for headlights

87mudfinder

I am looking at changing my bulbs and want to run those high output blueish bulbs/ Has anyone used them.

I just remember using them in my gsxr and they always blew from abuse like wheelies and such/ wondering if a ruff ride will kill them early?

Also while we on the lighting subject how much extra power can i add before i hurt the pathfinders electrical system. Im eyeing the piaa fog and floods. Just want to know how many i can add safely before i need to upgrade othergear.

I am not at all an electrical expert/ Im lucky if i get the stereo right when i hook it up :unsure:

Those are just "xenon gas" bulbs, nothing too fancy unless you blow a big wad on some PIAA's or something. I use "" because some places claim more than others as far as xenon content, effects, etc. Or are you talking about HID, cause that's a whole different topic. There are a bunch of the regular xenon-wannabe halogen's on eBay and in the local import shops. This is a very common size, same as many Toyota's and Fords, among others. Most draw similar to the stock bulbs, and you'll see claims like 55watt=100 meaning they say their 55 watt bulbs supposedly put out the light of a 100 bulb. But some of the headlights claim to be into the 80-100 watt range, which I think I'd avoid. I've had somewhat decent luck with Eurodezignz bulbs from eBay. They may blow after a year or 2, but that's not too bad at about $12-16 a set including shipping vs. spending $100+ on a set of high end ones that may blow too. If you're really into light output, you might want to look into replacing the stock headlight wiring with relayed power for more power. I believe 88 was thinking about jumping into this mod.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

there really inst much you can do to stock other than upgraded harness and new bulbs. ive been reading up and considering swapping out grilles for a HB of similar design and getting E-Code headlamps, beefing up the wiring, and new bulbs H4? our DOT spec lamps are crappy at spotting light in front, as are all DOT headlamps. i remeber seeing a Nismo Headlight conversion kit, but if memory serves me its was like 400 bucks ;)

there really inst much you can do to stock other than upgraded harness and new bulbs. ive been reading up and considering swapping out grilles for a HB of similar design and getting E-Code headlamps, beefing up the wiring, and new bulbs H4? our DOT spec lamps are crappy at spotting light in front, as are all DOT headlamps. i remeber seeing a Nismo Headlight conversion kit, but if memory serves me its was like 400 bucks ;)

If you could get a Hardbody grille and go with regular squared headlights (I can't remember the size specifics) you can get Euro size headlights to fit that simply take regular bulbs. Its just your basic Euro lense casing, holding whatever bulb fits, basically the replacement if a Euro-spec ride gets wrecked. They had them for my 720 back in the day, but it was going to be like $70 which wasn't happening on an old truck. But take a look.

Just a couple facts to keep in mind:

- 99% of those "blue" headlights get their blue output by using blue tinted or coated bulbs. Standard bulbs, just like a non-blue bulb. Why do they produce bluish light? Because the blue coating ABSORBS or FILTERS out a bunch of the non-blue lightwaves. In other words, the basic laws of physics make it impossible for them to produce more light.... If you start with the same amount and filter out a bunch, you have less light, not more. To counter this, some companies tried hotter burning bulbs so they come close to the original output. Downside: They have a mere fraction of the life and are very fragile.

- Despite all the marketing claims, you see worse with blue light. The low level receptors of the human eye are actually more sensitive towards the yellow end of the spectrum... Don't believe me? Check out what people whose lives or income depend on light. How many race cars do you see with blue lights (discounting HID equipped cars)??? If you watch, you will see many of the smart guys running very yellow lights. Funny, that...

One current exception is on race cars running HID lighting. HID lighting is awesome as it is much more efficient than incandescent. Much more light produceed per watt of energy consumed - and much less heat produced per watt consumed. Unfortunately, the HID technology is still a bit on the blue end of the spectrum. The first generations on exotic cars were almost purple (which started this whole blue fad), but the technology is evolving to more effective temperatures.

Xenon is just an inert gas. HID's use xenon in the capsules, and the lights were sometimes called "Xenon HID lights" because it sounded exotic and cool. Some creative cheesy light bulb marketers realized they could substitute xenon for halogen (another inert gas) in regular incandescent bulbs and sucker millions of people into buying them because people wanted to believe the xenon was the secret to the brighter light of the HID's. It wasn't.