Changing transfer fluid... turkey baster?

Slartibartfast

Hello all, I searched but didn't see much about this.

My transfer case fluid is a sickly shade of purple, and I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be, so I'm planning to do something about that tomorrow. I was looking at it today and trying to figure out how I'm going to get the new ATF into the fill hole above the crossmember. The right way would probably be to drive back into town for a pump head and a hose, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it... on the other hand, the best alternative method I can think of involves a turkey baster and a lot of swearing.

Anyone found a good trick for filling these buggers?

There are bottles on the market that already have a plastic tube attached to the cap. They have them on the 1 litre bottles. The tube comes out from the cap and sometimes they put a little plastic lid thing on the end of the tube so you don't, ahem, leak everywhere.

Just go get one of those transfer pumps. Or if you can, attach a long piece of hose to the bottle so you can hold it upside down. Driving to town probably won't hurt the tcase. Its probably been dark for years. Mine was black almost!

Just go get one of those transfer pumps. Or if you can, attach a long piece of hose to the bottle so you can hold it upside down. Driving to town probably won't hurt the tcase. Its probably been dark for years. Mine was black almost!

Yea, HF sells these transfer pumps cheap and they work well for these tight spaces

I use the el'cheapo transfer pump to drain the diffs and the one liter bottle with a twenty four inch length of vacuum hose to refill. It takes time but, it's not really too bad.

Just to jump in here, you should be filling the transfer case with gear oil.

Also, sickly purple? Sounds like someone might have put Royal Purple in there at some point. Not sure if ATF or gear oil would turn purple from age.

I've seen an air compressor used to fill up diffs and what not, the guy put a hole in the top of the oil container cap, with 8mm clear tube going into the bottle and going to the fill hole. Then he put a smaller hole into the oil container on the neck of the container. He then connected the air line from the compressor to that hole on the container and the force of the compressed air blew the oil up the tube and into the diff. Took like 4 seconds! Then he connected up the next container, bam done. Job finished in less than two minutes. It was a pretty bad ass way of doing it.

• Like 1

Here is what I came up with. Worked fine with lung power but if I had to do it again I would put the blower tip on the compressor and try it that way, it sounds much easier unless you like the lightheaded feeling....

IMG_0050_zps6d14bba7.jpg

• Like 1

Use a regulator. ;)

Another trick is to use a quart bottle that has a nozzle type tip. You can hold it sideways and squirt 1/2 the bottle in at a time by squeezing it. You have to stop and refill a few times, but it will get you there as well without using anything other than what is on hand.

B

The fluid is changed, and the walls are not dripping with ATF. Success!

I pretty much replicated Brian's design, except I used a plastic rice container (kind of flimsy) and some kind of garden sprinkler hose that was small diameter and didn't flow well. It took a little while but it got the job done. Thanks all for your input!

The old fluid came out dark, but not purple. :scratchhead: It was winter when I checked it, maybe my finger was turning blue and I hadn't noticed.