Tranny swap

flnl

Sorry if this has been talked before, I'm away from home and couldn't do a better search.

The question is: a friend needs a "new" tranny and tcase for his 94 WD21. He found 2 sets, one from a 99 and another from a 02. As long as I know they are the same and will fit. I am correct? Will them fit, just plug and play? There are any issues?

Enviado de meu MZ608 usando Tapatalk

Since you're outside of the United States, we need to make sure that the engine in your friends WD is a VG30? If the replacement transmissions are coming out of VG33 equipped vehicles than it should work. If you're swapping automatic to automatic, get the 2002 transmission as its stronger. If you're doing 5spd to 5spd, not much is known about getting a newer model transmission.

Yes, the WD21 is a VG30 and both the 99 and the 02 are VG33, and all of them have an auto 4 speed tranny.

Enviado de meu GT-I9100 usando o Tapatalk 2

IIRC you want to make sure you get the torque converter along with the transmission.

This should be seen as common knowledge to most anyone. Especially a place that's in business selling used transmissions. If you're meeting joe blow off the street and it doesn't have a torque converter with it, just walk away!

• 1 month later...

I have a vg30i out of an 88 pathy and it has no trans and t case when I got it. So was what I read I can put a 90 model trans in to my 88 pathy? Would i need the ecu four the trans out of the 90s model? My 88 had a 4 speed trans in it and the ecu is still there so do I just need the trans and t case or should i get the ecu with the trans to make sure I'm golden?

You can throw the 00-04 xterra trans in there instead. Way stronger and doesn't fail like the old wd21 ones.

But yes the 90 trans will fit. I don't think you need to swap the ecu unless you're going from the 3 speed to the 4 speed.

Edited by adamzan

Just trowing it out there, I found my X-terra Transmission on www.car-part.com for $300, shipped to my door for $110. 45k, 7 month warranty. Transfer case mated right up to new tranny & all the pigtails were the same.

The best way to replace one of these transmissions is to pay somebody else! I'm about half-way through re-installing mine and will never do so again. I'd rather ride a bicycle 30 km to work in a -20C hail storm. Naked.

• Like 2

After cursing mine for 30 or 40 hours trying to replace mine I was wondering has anyone tried yanking the engine & tranny from the front & just replacing everything with say a Ford 302 & c6 transmission. I figure that would solve the power and fuel economy issues.I know someone who had stuffed a 400 small block in a hard body that had a four linked front straight axle, so there should be enough room. I figure fabing some mounts, exhaust, driveshafts & a painless wiring harness may all have been quicker & easier than dropping that transmission working on the floor. If could have found a Cummins 3.9 4 bt out of a stepvan for a reasonable price before I found my Xterra transmission, I would have done that for sure.

The trouble, as I understand it, is that the transfer case on GM transmissions is on the wrong side, so you'd have to tear out the front end and SAS it to get the diff on the passenger's side instead of the driver's. Seems like a hell of a lot of work for a motor swap.

I dunno though, might be worth it for a 4BT.

I didn't even think that far ahead. I guess that might warrant a straight axle conversion, lol...I'm not sure if you could clock the transfer case that far. Maybe a double divorced transfer case, making low 168:1...but if we're doing all that, 'bout time to jump to a set of 60s or Rockwell's or portal mogs & 44s!