First Pathfinder

Hey guys and gals...just introducing myself. My name is Russell and I just picked up my first Pathfinder this week. I'm not new to the off road world and have always admired the understated look, price, and abilities of the Pathfinders. I waited for some time to find the exact right specimen and last week stumbled upon a 2004 LE Platinum Edit. with 98k miles. As soon as I saw it, I new it was the one to snag.

Here's a shot off the Craigslist ad.

00x0x_jadE4sEAA68_600x450_zpscb2a5f87.jp

Welcome to NPORA Russell! My Pathy was my introduction into the wonderful world of off-roading as well. This place is a fantastic wealth of knowledge about our rigs and a friendly bunch to deal with to boot. :)

Very good choice! If I fix up another Pathy, I will begin with essentially the same thing.

I'm guessing tires and a mild lift in the future?

Don't mind the others, they are all clearly insane... :shrug:

B

Thanks guys.

Right now the plan is to enjoy it fairly stock. We live in downtown Portland and, for the moment, it's our only vehicle so modifying it much isn't on the immediate docket. At most, I may put a small spacer lift on it this fall when it needs new struts/shocks and and upsize the tires. Who knows. I have a hard time leaving things alone. I've already investigated a set of Warn hubs. We'll see.

This summer it's our camping and adventure rig though. We love living in the city almost as much as we love getting out of the city!

See you guys out there.

Keep an eye on the oil level for a while, some of the VQ engines burn oil. My dad's rig was burning a quart every thousand miles when it hit 100k, and the research we did suggested that the problem is not uncommon. A lot of guys on here run them with no issues, so I'm not saying they all do it, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

Hopefully you got a good one. :) Looks like the previous owner took care of it.

I'll keep my eye on it. No overt oil burn out of the tailpipe and the oil doesn't smell like combustion.

I really like the VQ engines. We replaced a 2000 Nissan Maxima that had the VQ30 and 190k miles. It still runs amazingly well. My sister is inheriting it for her daughter. I had a hard time letting it go because it just ran so stinking well. It's the reason I went with the 2004 Pathy and the VQ35. Hopefully it has the same longevity and relatively low maintenance requirements.

R

You must be around the Portland area? I saw that rig on Craigslist the other day. Clean!

:welcome:

Edit: Ahh yes I see it now. Downtown Portland.

Edited by Kingman

You must be around the Portland area? I saw that rig on Craigslist the other day. Clean!

:welcome:

Edit: Ahh yes I see it now. Downtown Portland.

Good eye, Kingman. Yep, we live in Portland all right. And yes, it's in extremely clean shape!

• 7 months later...

Just a quick update. The Pathy is slowly becoming ours...I just can't keep my hands off of things. :-D After being clipped by a box truck and having the bumper pulled off, insurance money subsidized a custom front bumper, winch, and 2" spacer lift. Now with 265/70r17 tires she's closer to where I think she'll stay. I'm considering a 1 or 2 inch subframe drop in the front and matching XJ springs in the rear. I don't want a monster, but the current spacer lift isn't quite adequate. Anywho, here's a current shot:

IMG_20141224_160819_zpsa2d419b7.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...