VG30E to TD27T Transmissions swap/rebuild

GlowPlug

Greetings guys.

Wasn't sure whether to post here or in the Diesel Engine Discussion in the Garage. Figured it may get more of a response here . . .

Anyway, I've got a '91 Terrano with the TD27T diesel power plant. Auto transmission kinda died on me the other day, running at 230F, fluid black and burned, no 4th gear, and misting out of the filler/dipstick pipe. And no, it wasn't over filled! So it looks like time for a new transmission, or attempting a rebuild :)

Now, I've got an auto transmission from a 1994 VG30E Pathfinder that I'm breaking for parts. Will need a rebuild as it sometimes didn't like to find 3rd when the truck was running, but that would be a fun project.

So my big question is, can I install the auto transmission from the 1994 V6 Pathfinder on the 1991 diesel Terrano?

Both units are the RE4R01A transmissions, but whereas the '94 Pathfinder tranny is the 45X72 model (a 1991 V6 Pathy tranny is the 45X24), the transmission on the Terrano is the RE4R01A 45X15. I've done some extensive part number comparisons, and while they're very very similar, there are some internal differneces, in particular in the valve assemblies and the drive and driven plates. Of course the bell housing is different, but they're easy to swap over. The oil pumps and input and output shafts are the same though.

Could I install a rebuilt 1994 V6 auto transmission, re-using the diesel bell housing and using a diesel torque converter, on my diesel engined 1991 Terrano? By the way, the '94 uses an electric speed sensor while the '91 is mechanical. Would I need to use the auto transmission computer from the Pathfinder or the existing one in the Terrano? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reason I'd rather rebuild the Pathfinder transmission is that I have all the data (tolerances, clearances, thicknesses, end plays etc) from the FSM. What I don't have are the factory service manual S.D.S. tables for the TD27T diesel unit as auto box diesel Terranos were only every sold in Japan. Diesel Terranos on the European market were manual as far as I can work out. Of course, if someone can supply me with the data for the diesel unit, I could rebuild that one and not worry about compatability issues. Anyone got the data and willing to share?

Cheers,

GlowPlug

The R20 used the TD27T, TD27T i and came with an auto. Have you checked out that FSM? it appears pretty thorough regards overhaul.

Thanks 3rdtimesacharm!

That sounds like a plan. I'll see if I can source one - I'm running an R20 intercooler anyway ;) Any idea what model year Terrano II came with a TD27T (or TD27TI) and an automatic gear box? Couldn't find any on nissan4u.com.

By the way, where abouts in Cornwall are you? I'm originally from Redruth!

OK, found a FSM for the R20 2000 model, searching part numbers on http://nissan.epc-data.com/ for thr R20 Mistral (JDM Terrano II).

None of the R20s ran exactly the same RE4R01A auto transmission as the diesel D21 Terrano, but if the variation in auto transmissions used in the 4WD Pathfinder V6 between 1989 and 1995 is anything to go by, the differences are very minor.

Comparing the WD21 V6 transmission with the R20 diesel unit, differnt gear ratio (same as the auto box on the Pathfinder KA24E 4 cyclinder and 2WD V6), differnt shift schedule and stall speed, different drive plate thicknesses in forward clutch and differnt thickness and number of drive plates in the low & reverse brake. Other specs including total end plays etc are the same. So - may be a case of take it apart and find out how it's built! All the soft parts are common to all RE4R01A transmissions though. It's really ony the seals and clutch plates that I'll probably be replacing, unless there's been some catastrophic hard-part damage.

Thanks 3rdtimesacharm!

That sounds like a plan. I'll see if I can source one - I'm running an R20 intercooler anyway ;) Any idea what model year Terrano II came with a TD27T (or TD27TI) and an automatic gear box? Couldn't find any on nissan4u.com.

By the way, where abouts in Cornwall are you? I'm originally from Redruth!

The R20 diesel was turbo from day one (1993) and the autobox was available in that 93-96 period. They jiggled it about in 1996 with some significant changes like the intercooler and fueling. I dont know if the autobox specs changed at that point but the manual box was definitely altered.

If you could find the FSM for that 93-96 period that would be your best bet.

Redruth! I don't even like going over the Tamar these days I dont know how you made it to Canadia. I drove through there the other day getting to Stithians reservoir. I can assure you it's still there and not changed since you left.

I'm from the Seaton/ Downderry area and know naff all about autos and the witchcraft inside :laugh: goodluck!

Yeah, will see if I can hunt down an earlier R20 FSM.

Love Seaton and Downderry. Walk from Hessenford to Seaton down through the woods is great, especially after a pub lunch in the Copley Arms. Wrote my undergraduate thesis on the deposits in the cliffs between Seaton and Downderry too! My parents still have a chalet on the cliffs at Freathy. Spent all my weekends as a kid on the beach at Whitsand Bay and out fishing for bass with my dad in his little row boat. Seining for sandeels in the estuary at Looe. We used to keep the boat at Sharrow Point, now he's in his 80s, my dad keeps it at Port Wrinkle. My brother-in-law is a coach at the Whitsand Bay Golf Course! Small world :)

As for auto gear boxes, makes me wish I'd imported a manual from Japan now rather than the auto. More research required.

Yeah, will see if I can hunt down an earlier R20 FSM.

Love Seaton and Downderry. Walk from Hessenford to Seaton down through the woods is great, especially after a pub lunch in the Copley Arms. Wrote my undergraduate thesis on the deposits in the cliffs between Seaton and Downderry too! My parents still have a chalet on the cliffs at Freathy. Spent all my weekends as a kid on the beach at Whitsand Bay and out fishing for bass with my dad in his little row boat. Seining for sandeels in the estuary at Looe. We used to keep the boat at Sharrow Point, now he's in his 80s, my dad keeps it at Port Wrinkle. My brother-in-law is a coach at the Whitsand Bay Golf Course! Small world :)

As for auto gear boxes, makes me wish I'd imported a manual from Japan now rather than the auto. More research required.

Ah that sounds pretty idyiic. I wont tell you about the flood damage around Seaton and Looe.. Whitsand bay is as beautiful as ever :)

I have found http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/ to be very informative for WD21s. It's a New Zealand offroading forum but every other member seems to have Pathfinder/ Terrano and know their stuff. Might be worth a rummage. If there are no clues in there i'd go as far as to say its going to be a rebuild of self discovery.

Have asked the same question on Offroadexpress, suggested that a hybred of petrol/gasoline auto transmission with the diesel torque converter may work. Not sure which transmission controler unit to use though. Rebuild of self discovery it will be!

• 3 years later...