guess what happened today? the picture game

I can't believe there is any difference in tensioners because they are just idler bearing, you set the tension yourself so it shouldn't care what belt it is against.

gotta love those mid year changes

I guess they figured the vehicle would be at a dealership or shop that either had both on hand or could order the right part quickly. Still, just wait until the new model year with things like that! P...

B

Yeah, except the round tooth belt started about midway through 1993... Should have bought a Nissan belt, and to be honest, with how crucial the timing belt is on these motors, I wouldn't trust any other brand.

Really surprised that no one has created a timing belt conversion to a chain, or some kind of gear drive timing. I know that if a v8 can get these types of timing sets, so should our v6 . I'm of the opinion that these engines could be running around strong at 500k if belts were eliminated. Imho that is, IF I had the time and tool shop I would have to create a new setup for all our timing upgrades. I hope you have taken the belt back and procured the correct one without having to jump through hoops. WE all feel your pain. :) good luck with the fix..

Why so much?

For something that he would have to design by hand, since I'm sure it hasn't been done before. A quick Google search says not.

Now, I just learned that the VE30DE was chain driven, this was the "modified" VG30DE that they added more angle to the heads so that it would fit under the hood of a 4 year range of the Maxima. But chain driven motors need the chain lubricated at all times. So there's oil pumped in to the timing covers essentially.

So $300 for something that he MIGHT sell 5 of. Not a bad price.

That's a lot of work and engineering to make that happen. Custom chain(s), tensioner(s), guides and mounting spots, sprockets and crank gear, custom front covers and seals, modified oil passages in the block, etc. So $300 would be cheap really.

Edited by Kingman

I think I would be interested in going that way if it was a lower mileage engine, with the engine in my own rig having almost 240k not sure if it would be a good investment at this time. I'm sure though, I will look into it once I get a low mileage create engine and newer/stronger transmission. Since the pathfinder is paid for I want it to last for a long time. So $300 will be worth the piece of mind I will get with the timing belt not braking.