35" Tires without re-gearing?

So I have been running 33s with 6" lift for a while now and I want to upgrade to 35s. The 33" upgrade already made the truck slower and pretty rough climbing hills on the freeway. Is it going to be a lot worse with 35s? I don't mind it being slow but I want to be able to get up North and I am not willing to drop the money to re-gear yet. Any input? I know a couple of you guys got 35s but didn't know if you had stock gears.

Depending on which engine your truck has and also the stock gearing. Mine is an '01 VQ35DE with stock 4.3 gears. Plans are to to re-gear soon. But for now seems fine on off freeway speed/power seems fine. Just more fuel thirsty with the 35's. Posted Image

I also have the 4.3 gears, but with the 3.3 Liter. Will there be much of an improvement to make it worth it to go 35s if I am not going to re-gear anytime soon? I like the look and always want to go "BIGGER!", but mabye its not worth it. I am thinking of the extra inch of height and clearence in the middle, but maybe it isn't worth it. And if I did re-gear, which gears? 4.88, 5.13?

Depending on which engine your truck has and also the stock gearing. Mine is an '01 VQ35DE with stock 4.3 gears. Plans are to to re-gear soon. But for now seems fine on off freeway speed/power seems fine. Just more fuel thirsty with the 35's. e4urupy6.jpg

I plan on going with 4.875 gears from Nismo. :aok:

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-pathfinder-ring-and-pinion-gears-by-nismo-1990-2004-rear-h233b-5143-p-5648.html?osCsid=fabpkik7ik50jfu4guu87p2r82

I think the 5.143 or 5.857 would be too high a gear unless you are building a straight rock crawler/ off road rig. I still want to be able to go 80mph on the freeway. Parts are about 1000$ for both sets front/rear. Plus labor and master install kit maybe 150$. I plan on going big! Gears and lockers when the time comes...

Does the master kit include all that is needed? Anyone have an idea what labor for something like that would cost? And it would still work with my front locker?

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-pathfinder-ring-and-pinion-gears-by-nismo-1990-2004-rear-h233b-5143-p-5648.html?osCsid=fabpkik7ik50jfu4guu87p2r82

I think the 5.143 or 5.857 would be too high a gear unless you are building a straight rock crawler/ off road rig. I still want to be able to go 80mph on the freeway. Parts are about 1000$ for both sets front/rear. Plus labor and master install kit maybe 150$. I plan on going big! Gears and lockers when the time comes...

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind the terrain. 01silvapathy is in TX (flat). Out west (steep mountain roads) and even when I go offroad (loaded down with 600+lbs of passenger+cargo) even with 32s I feel my truck (3.5 VQ, stock gears) needs persuasion to get up over steep climbs and the transmission starts to get hot. I've thought about lusted for 33s as they would look perfect but I haven't done it yet for that very reason.

• Like 1

I hardly notice any strain or loss of power with my 35s, and Ive gone offroading and uphills and it does just fine. I havent even thought about regearing but thats just my opinion i guess. regearing can be very difficult and expensive.

Are you sure these gears will fit? I know the site says so, but I am under the impression that our front differentials use reverse cut ring gears and NONE of the aftermarket ring gears are reverse cut....they are for the other R200 differentials that Nissan used in other models.

Or is this not true of all R50s, just some of the model years?

Keep in mind the terrain. 01silvapathy is in TX (flat). Out west (steep mountain roads) and even when I go offroad (loaded down with 600+lbs of passenger+cargo) even with 32s I feel my truck (3.5 VQ, stock gears) needs persuasion to get up over steep climbs and the transmission starts to get hot. I've thought about lusted for 33s as they would look perfect but I haven't done it yet for that very reason.

This.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the stock gearing in 97 se pathys were 4.63 factory with vg33s I don't know what the stock gearing on vqs mainly cause I like the old school iron block over the aluminum block because of strength reasons but I have 33s on Detroit 5.03 s and it's nothing for it but as far as fuelly um NOT SO MUCH! And speed--- great leaving a light and cruisin but maxes out at about 73 mph so if you got a heavy foot then don't re-gear and also it's very expensive to re-gear I got about 3 grand in re-gearing mods and such .

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the 4.34 gears like me this chart I made for myself may help to visualize.

I find the current gearing with my psuedo 32" tires to be OK in 4Lo up-hill but find it too low (have to use brakes) for steep downhill washed out or rutted terrain - due to the not-so-great crawl ratio. Another time I find the truck to be suffering from larger tires is when full laden in 2wd going up a 12% - 15% grade, trying to keep up with the cars while keeping the temps under 207F or so.

Currently the only gears available are either from the few 1st gen R50 Pathys (96-99, make sure they are 4.63, not all were) or from Nitro Gear who's working on the 5.13 gears for the front diff and already have the rears in that ratio.

Hope this helps.

R50gearRatio_zps6433c766.jpg

wow nice! Are you planning to run 35s?

I talked to Nitro a week or two ago and they told me they were in the process of making the front gears to match their existing rear set. I asked them if they would consider making 4.8 or 4.9 as most people would need those to go up to 33s but they said they didn't have any plans to offer another ratio :(

Let us know how it all goes with the install etc.

Actually I have been running 35s for the last two seasons. Never had any issues. Only real reason I am gearing is because I tow a boat in the summer with 33s and I am planning on running 37s this year.