Brakes seem crappy on my 1991 pathy 2 wheel drive auto trans.

If I hit them quick they seem pretty good, but if I hit them slow while coming to a stop they seem to go to the floor and feel like they hardly work. :deadhorse: I'v changed the master cyc and bleed them a few months ago, now crappy again

HELP! :angry:

Take the overdrive off as you slow down at lights, it reduces strain on the trans and you'll get more braking pressure. Otherwise it's like you are trying to brake when you are still in 4th which won't be very helpful.

Replace the MC, its not expensive. When you do replace all the brake fluid with fresh fluid.

Replace your brake booster check valve too, it is old; this will also help with the spongy.

Make sure your rotors and drums are within specs and the pads and shoes are within spec.

Replace the MC, its not expensive. When you do replace all the brake fluid with fresh fluid.

Replace your brake booster check valve too, it is old; this will also help with the spongy.

Make sure your rotors and drums are within specs and the pads and shoes are within spec.

brake booster check valve?? Where's that?

Yep, sounds like your MC has a bad seal, or there's a leak elsewhere in the system that's dumping pressure. Do you have to keep adding fluid?

The fluid stays full. It was a used cylinder i installed, It lasted about a month?

brake booster check valve?? Where's that?

It is inline on the large hose along the firewall coming from the brake booster. It has a diaphragm in it that allows air to flow one direction but not another. It wears out over time and reduces the braking of the truck. It will make the vehicle brakes feel 'soft' when it is worn out. I have had many people take my suggestion and change it an come back and tell me they noticed a difference. It is about $15 and easy to replace.

brakecheckvalve_zps0fc1b5ee.jpg

It is inline on the large hose along the firewall coming from the brake booster. It has a diaphragm in it that allows air to flow one direction but not another. It wears out over time and reduces the braking of the truck. It will make the vehicle brakes feel 'soft' when it is worn out. I have had many people take my suggestion and change it an come back and tell me they noticed a difference. It is about $15 and easy to replace.

I didn't think I had this dilly-o in my Vac line, Today at the farmers Market I looked under the hood and then later was thinking I had just a straight Vacuum line. But after seeing your picture I went out to take a quick look, at 12:30 am, LOL, Sure enough, it's there. I'll look into this and let ya'll know,. THANKS ALOT. I have 3 Nissan/ Datsun books that mention Check Valves but only show it on the early model master cylinders under side.

I just pulled off the check valve, it released pressure. I can blow through it one way only, I'm thinking it's still good. I ran water into it to see if it needed cleaning, I test drive in a bit.

I just tossed on my last used master cylinder since i had one more. That what it was. Darn crap, LOL. I'll go with new one next time. Ebay starting at around $32.00 and local auto parts store $70.

Thanks guys for the help.

So you think the rubber seals are just sliding back and forth in the master, not building pressure? because i had no leaks. kinda weird.

I know it sucks sometimes having to spend more than you want/have, but I would not buy car parts off of ebay. Just seems like it is all china junk. At least with a part store you can get a quick replacement if you need it.

• Like 1

I know it sucks sometimes having to spend more than you want/have, but I would not buy car parts off of ebay. Just seems like it is all china junk. At least with a part store you can get a quick replacement if you need it.

Very true. Lots of forgeries too. Have to be careful there.

I just pulled off the check valve, it released pressure. I can blow through it one way only, I'm thinking it's still good. I ran water into it to see if it needed cleaning, I test drive in a bit.

Valve is good then.