88 300ZX Rough Idle

WxChaser

Hey guys,

Have a 88 Nissan 300zx that has had a CEL on and off for the past week or so. Came on again today and is running rough when sitting in the driveway. Problem really began 5 mins before getting home, as the car was accelerating up a hill, it shuttered and the RPM's weren't rising (to pick up speed). Made it home fine but wasn't running right when we went back out to look at it an hour later.

I think it's an O2 sensor. Can't check the codes easily. Took the air cover off and it ran slightly better, which tells me that getting more air to the system helps keep it up.

Need a quick response as this is a daily driver and needs to be fixed ASAP.

MAF ground wire issue is the first thing that comes into my head. It is a known problem. What brand is the oxygen sensor, it must be a nissan or it will run like crap. That's all I can think of.

sent from under Ernest the Pathfinder

Kingman, edicer2 and someone else have/had 300ZXs. Since it is a rush scenario, maybe PM them?

I'll update this when my brain comes up with the right names...

B

boothill2008

noquarter89

silverpath

Jiro

linkinpark

remus92

Edited by Precise1

Hey all,

Problem was fixed! Changed the fuel filter and it runs normally. Still have the CEL but I will try and figure out how to check the codes on that.

Literally pulled the fuel filter and watched black colored fuel run out. Probably clogged up really nicely.

Oxygen sensors on Z31s are damn near worthless and hardly ever cause running issues unless they're really screwed up. They're best left unplugged.

You check for codes the same way you do with a Pathfinder, the ECU is behind the passenger kick panel with the trouble codes printed right on it. Is this a turbo car?

Hey all,

Problem was fixed! Changed the fuel filter and it runs normally. Still have the CEL but I will try and figure out how to check the codes on that.

Literally pulled the fuel filter and watched black colored fuel run out. Probably clogged up really nicely.

Well, if it was that easy, why did you bother us? :tongue:

JK, obviously.

I'm glad you got it sorted out quickly, I've been there with the wounded DD often enough to take it seriously.

Kingman has owned a few and kept them running long enoiugh to sell them, so he probably has good info... ;)

B

Thanks for the help guys.

Give me crap, but this isn't actually my car.. it's my girlfriend's. You'd be amazed at the looks I get when she climbs out of the driver seat and I get out on the passenger side. But the car is up and running well! Think it's still throwing the CEL but when she runs off to Poland next month I plan on doing some big work on the car for her as a surprise. I'll probably refer back to you guys for advice and fixes!

Again, thanks for the help.