Headers & Exhaust for more power?

enkrypt3d

Yea unplugging it didn't do much which may mean that the o2 sensor is toast and by unplugging it the ECU doesn't seem to notice.....?

Also noticed my main relay housing is cracked...... :/ not the relay itself the thing that the relay plugs into.

Going to have to find a way to replace all that crud without breaking the bank!

Anyone know what that grey plug is right behind the battery? it looks identical to the one that the o2 sensor plugs into... mine has nothing plugged into it though.......... /offtopic>

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/pathfinder-aluminized-catback-exhaust-p-414.html

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-pathfinder-headers-by-doug-thorley-30l-v6-1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-p-5745.html?osCsid=nf7aak33a2qndl8taojhphg391

Ordered these hoping they are not going to be too loud and able to pass smog! Anyone have any experience with this exhaust?

Can't seem to find an intake on any of these sites though.....

You will be able to pass smog. I have Thorley headers, Magnaflow cat and Flowmaster muffler. It does get a bit loud at high RPM, but I don't drive around at 3-4k rpm much.

A couple notes, I doubt you will get 8-12% power gain from the cat back alone, and they don't seem to list the diameter. Also, do you plan to use the stock cat? It chokes down to a narrow inlet/outlet...

Don't worry about intake yet, the stock system does fine with minor modification.

B

That isn't really a definitive test...

Maybe on your local trails, but that statement just showed your limited experience. :shrug:

B

Cute.

If the truck feels like it doesn't have enough power to make it up a "steep incline" you're in the wrong gear.

Cute.

If the truck feels like it doesn't have enough power to make it up a "steep incline" you're in the wrong gear.

In the video I'm in first gear. Of course I'm not flooring it as I'm not trying to get stuck out there by myself several hours into the middle of the desert.

I now drive with power mode on and it drives much better. Next time its in the shop I'm getting the PCV, MAF & o2 sensors replaced as well as the headers & exhaust. I'll have to check the cats to make sure what diameter it is...

Cute.

If you're towing or have a FULL truck just turn OverDrive off, you won't notice much of a MPG hit.. I recently drove to Oregon to tow a Datsun 1200 back. On the way down I got 14mpg cruising at 60mph with me and two people. On the way back, with U-Haul trailer with said 1200 and the same two people, I turned OD off for the entirety of the trip and got 12.5mpg.

And anytime you're "off road" you should be in 4L. 4H is basically for snowy roadways.

It is that unconditional, absolute statement right there that indicates you are only talking about tight trails and technical obstacles. Maybe you do a lot of that, but I question if you have ever been in the dunes, marshes or desert where you need speeds and gearing over 25mph, hence the limited experience part. All sorts of 'off road' out there that needs 4 wheel drive and where 4low wouldn't work well... :shrug:

B

You can change the pcv, maf and o2 yourself. The maf and pcv would probably take 20 minutes of combined total time....

Yea if I could find the part number to the hose that connects to the PCV... it's dry rotted and it snapped when I tried to remove it... Also I have no idea how to remove the MAF plug.....?

Third diagram, part number 11826? http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder-parts-wd21-1987-1995/genuine-nissan-parts/engine-mechanical/118-crankcase-ventilation/-c-5572_5573_5574_5581.html

Also for the maf plug, you remove the little metal wire clip that goes around it with a screw driver, then it just pulls off. Don't lose the clip, obviously lol. It likes to go flying.

^This!

Go to a junk yard or dealership for the hose...

I now drive with power mode on and it drives much better. Next time its in the shop I'm getting the PCV, MAF & o2 sensors replaced as well as the headers & exhaust. I'll have to check the cats to make sure what diameter it is...

You only have one cat (unless you have the oddball precat, but this doesn't matter) and the inlet is something like 1.875"/outlet 2.1875". IIRC, the largest allowable cat in Ca is 2" and remember that the cat has to be CARB certified for California.

B

It is that unconditional, absolute statement right there that indicates you are only talking about tight trails and technical obstacles. Maybe you do a lot of that, but I question if you have ever been in the dunes, marshes or desert where you need speeds and gearing over 25mph, hence the limited experience part. All sorts of 'off road' out there that needs 4 wheel drive and where 4low wouldn't work well... :shrug:

B

And by the same token, I'm experienced enough that I wouldn't complain about my truck being under powered when I'm trying to climb a steep hill in the wrong gear.

If you're not willing to contribute constructively to this thread then what are you doing posting here?

My truck *should* be able to haul 4 people and not have to floor it... isn't this what forums are for to exchange helpful tips?

Driving in 4L everywhere off road doesn't make sense at all so by that token that is incorrect. These roads allowed me to drive up to 25mph in 4H and it was fine.

The issue I'm talking about is not being able to climb long hills on the freeway in 2H in OD. The only option was to turn off OD and floor it. So we're talking about 2 separate things here.

And by the same token, I'm experienced enough that I wouldn't complain about my truck being under powered when I'm trying to climb a steep hill in the wrong gear.

Anyway I think that replacing the O2 sensor, MAF & PCV will help..... :puterpunch:

Having fully loaded freeway hill climb issues is mainly a power issue, so trying to increase the output or change the gearing are really the two only options. Simply put though, these vehicle only made about 150hp brand new and the National Maximum Speed Limit was set to 55mph almost everywhere (1974-1995), so turning off the OD was acceptable. Most people don't remember that law and that the Pathy was only designed for that maximum speed. :shrug:

The PCV valve is a maintenance item but can be tested for proper operation, but I wouldn't just randomly change the O2 and MAF without first testing their outputs first. If they function in the proper ranges, replacing them will just be pissing away a couple hundred dollars without any improvements. Save the $ for headers, exhaust work, and other things that will make a power difference.

Is it worth having the ECU tuned after the new goodies are put on?

Yes, as long as it doesn't interfere with passing smog tests, different cams and ECU tune will gain you more power. Another trick, be it more work, is to install a VG33. A VG33 with cams, headers and exhaust should make up to 190hp (estimated), 20% gain from what you have now...

B

How heavy are your wheels/tires? Shedding rotational weight would free up some ponies.

Can't find specs on a 265/75R15 KM2 because BFG doesn't have it in their list of sizes available. Closest that size comes to is a 31x10.50R15 which weigh 46.4lb/ea. If you had meant 265/75R16 those weigh 52.8lb/ea Either way you cut it, you're spinning about 200 pounds of rubber. Add in to the weight of your after market wheels...

Besides doing a basic tune up and making sure your sensors are working properly, that's your biggest power hog, wheels and tires. Oh another thing, what's the condition of your cooling fan? Does it sound like it's spinning FAST all the time? A locked fan clutch robs a ton of power.

yea timing belt and valve adjustment done already..

went out to replace the MAF since I had the parts already and that clip went flying just as you said adam lol luckily it bounced off the hood and onto the distributor cap...

u guys think i should unplug the battery to reset the ECU after replacing the MAF?

Heat it up with a propane or mapp gas torch. Or let the truck run for 10 minutes. It's a 22mm. I just changed an original one in a 95 last week. Had no issues getting it out.

yea timing belt and valve adjustment done already..

went out to replace the MAF since I had the parts already and that clip went flying just as you said adam lol luckily it bounced off the hood and onto the distributor cap...

u guys think i should unplug the battery to reset the ECU after replacing the MAF?

No, I mean ignition timing, as in a timing light attached to #1 plug wire and adjust the distributor(15 degrees iirc).