Doing What they say cant be done need support

Airrun2002

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supercharger vs turbocharger? Isn't super quicker on response?

The main difference between the two is how they are propelled. A superchager is run off the engines own turning forces. Thus you get immediate pressure boost, which is great for low RPM boost. However, it is run off the engine's power forces, i.e. a belt or gear driven, so at the upper range of the power band, a bit, small, but noticible amount of the engine power is going into driving the supercharger.

With a turbo, as was prior stated, lacks the immediate response, as the exhaust gasses have to spool up the turbine side, and therefore drive the compressor on the intake side. The advantage of a turbo is that they are usualy smaller than a comparable supercharger, and are more efficent in the upper rpm/ power ranges. Hope this clears things up a bit.

Edited by MaritimeMan

Vortech makes a pretty cool s/c setup. It's like a pulley or shaft driven turbo unit as opposed to the roots-type blowers you see popping out of the hoods of dragsters. I was thinking of getting one for my GS-R until I saw my latest cat-scan and realized I'm actually not made of money.

Guest Sportrods

Man, you guys are really putting it to this airrun guy! I've done turbo systems on just about everything with wheels, including numerous bikes and cars people said there was no way it would work. I will say that it takes a bit of hard work and fitting, but after looking at my Pathy engine bay, it is very easily done!!

Airrun, there are a few things to take into consideration.. You need to make sure you have adequate fueling for this turbo. It shouldn't be a problem on low boost levels, but you may want to snag a Saab cold start injector and plumb it in just in case. Also, look into the Turbo Dodge(IE Shelby Daytona) Intercoolers. They are VERY cheap and radily available. You will need an IC, I don;t care what anyone else says. Especially since you are at low speeds. Those TD IC's fit places most others wont. If you want to talk to the kings of turbocharging on the cheap, look at www.turbododge.com.

Also, for everyone thinking the thing wont wheel well. Think about it, that turbo should spool up nicely between 1800 and 2000 RPM. How many of you are below that wheeling. Chances are, none. If you are crawling, you are in Low Range, and above that range anyhow. Food for thought.

Hey sport thanks for the help and encouragement glad to see im not the only one who doesnt think its gonna cost an arm and a leg to do this although i think im gonna do the body lift first just to give me a little more room to work with. BTW im getting all turbo parts and accessories from the 300zx ill give you a list of what i got when he gets it for me and you can tell me what else i need. Its nice to haved all you guys so willing to lend your insight/experience and services.

P.S. Sport, where are you located if your close maybe i could get ur help.

Edited by Airrun2002

meh.. its just basically transplanting the 300zx setup.. it can be done.

should be no big deal really.. to make it work youd have to make it as close to the 300z setup as possible, be it you'd have to make quite a few custom parts, exhaust etc.

just like how those rice boys put those b16s in the crx's

bring all the wires with you and make sure its plugged in... high f'n tech

Guest Sportrods

Airrun, you have a PM..

88 Pathy, most people are either afraid to do it, don't have enough fabrication skills or tools, or are afraid to dig into that large of a project. I do about 3-5 turbo systems a week through my shop, and can honestly say I've worked on cars with a LOT less space. Ever TT a Corvette? TIIIIIIGGGGHHHT working spaces there! Even better, I had a '90 Turbo Grand Prix(turbo by McLaren), and that had a lot closer spaces than the Pathy, and they did it as a production car.

Really, turbocharging is fairly easy to do. The hardest part is the manifolds. Once those are biult, the piping is fairly easy. You can buy a decent bender from Harbor Freight for about $100, and it helps to have a welder although you can use radiator hosing and clamps(not recommended). Single turbo is a bit easier, but twins can be done as well.

well guys and gals good news. my friend told me he is probly just going to give me the turbo and parts for free i am psyched but i would like to pay him back a little he is looking for an intake plenum from a 86-89 pathy any help would be awesome.

Sport i got your pm and im gonna e-mail ya a little later once im sure im gettin the parts.

I find it kinda amusing that the discussion has gone from 1 guy using off the shelf parts to try and fab up a turbo install, to some random pro's stepping in talking a bunch of isht about how easy it is to do in their pro shops with custom parts, years of experience, and endless budgets. Don't you think you've kinda stepped away from the original idea of a guy swapping in close to free 300ZX turbo set-up on his own in his own garage with no real experience in the project?!?

Quit with teh bumping!!1

Hehe.

You're not getting anywhere any faster that way... what do you want, anyway? Do you have a question or need something specifically stated for you to be satisfied?

Make a useful comment or post pics of your turbo parts if you want the topic back to top.

I'm starting to think about blowers. I'm helping my feind install one in his GT mustang and it seems pretty easy so far.

Why couldn't you buy an aftermarket Vortec or whatever and run big pulleys so your boost is low enough not to hurt anything else? This way you're mounting it with a bracket and making all of your own plumbing which is easy. Seems like all someone would need after that is a good tune.

ALSO, Why are the "old-timers" acting so bitchy about every stinking post? Drink some coffee, get a girlfriend, pet your cat... JEEZ!!!

The guys at L&P Performance are working on a kit that uses a M-90 supercharger. There's and old thread about it here somewhere. They said it would cost around $400-$500. You have to source your own 'charger, but there's plenty around from the old S/C Thunderbirds and such. Prolly a lot easier and cheaper once you get into all the specialty parts you would need to make.

It'd be easier if old Vortechs were cheaper...until then, it's gonna be a long shot to do it. You also have to take into consideration the adapters for intake inlets, tubing, etc. Not everybody has machine shop equipment at their disposal, much less the skill and/or experience to utilize them.

Move to Cali.... I have a Bud who owns his own shop that owes me $; that = equipment use.... The owner at work gave me open use of machines; "It's your time, just don't get hurt" leaves it wide open... Hang out at the local machine shop at quitting time with beer; it's always respected :P He!!, I have access to more equipment than I have modivation or time...

I'll help ya with the specialty items though...

As for whoever harping about geriatric nay sayers, consider this: Has no one thought of this before ? Could it be that easy ? Consider this equasion: ($ X difficulty X parts) / (experience X equipment X assistance X time). Anything CAN be done, you just wind up with a wild #... If you like, I can derive the units for that equasion but you will wind up with something like $(headache squared)weeks....

As for the the project, I support it. Go to it man, it will be good experience if it works or not !! I'll help if I can for custom stuff, just try not to do any irreversible mods, and outline things before pulling parts.

:beer:

Bernard