Erratic RPM while accelerating and rough idling

I just joined NPORA. I have owned my 1993 Pathfinder for a month. Just got the chance to take it "off road". Well, it was a rough road to go fishing, about three miles. When I made it back to pavement and accelerated, I noticed at about 30 miles per hour a loss in power, would decrease speed to about 20 MPH and then would accelerate again but would only have loss of power at 30 to 40 MPH again. RPM's would be erratic. While it was "bouncing around" with power/loss of power/power/loss of power, I noticed that if I put vehicle in neutral and then back in drive, it got better for 10 or so seconds,, but would start again. I stopped at a friends house for about an hour, pondering my problem and decided to head home about 20 miles away. It seemed to be some better, would "jerk" at times with loss of power and would gain power again (did this several times on my way home). Also, seems when I turned over drive to "off", vehicle would drive better (this may not be related, but more of a coincidence). I am going to try cleaning/testing the Mass Air Sensor tomorrow, for it is 12:30 AM and I am tired of "surfing" my problem with my vehicle. I am really enjoying my vehicle but am disappointed at my first "off road" experience. Maybe this is a common and easily fixable problem.

I have seen similar topics to my problem, but anyone able to assist in any way would be great.

Welcome to NPORA, sorry that a problem brought you here. For the record, no, that is not a common issue.

I'd recommend downloading the FSM from the pinned thread in the Garage section (1994 will work for almost all mechanical applications), then going to the Garage/How To section and learning how to check the ECU for codes. You can do the same thing for the auto-tranny, the info is in the FSM.

Have you checked the tranny fluid level and condition? Could the tranny have gotten hot? Sometimes the stock cooler in the radiator gets clogged and needs to be cleaned or bypassed.

I'm going to move this to the WD21 section for greater visibility...

B

I'd also climb underneath, checking to make sure any electrical connector hasn't been ripped off from the transmission since you did say it was a rough track. Maybe something has come off from being hit by sticks or rocks (hope that hasn't happened)

Same advice as all those above, also check in around the hubs from underneath it, something could be binding up, I had a rock jammed in on my Titan a few weeks ago. I couldn't find anything wrong with the truck, but it kept binding at slow speeds and made a noise like a bearing going out, to make a long story short, it turned out to be a very small and hidden rock in the right spot. Couldn't hurt to look, oh yeah....welcome to the pathfinder family. :)

There could multiple possibilities. Is the ses light on,how much off roading did you do,what gear is it in? Could be cap/rotor, torque converter material coming apart that clogs the pick up screen. Plugged fuel filter, mas or injector a lot to check

Sorry, I did not tell you my Pathfinder is a 2wd. Actually, I did learn how to check the codes on the ECU. It gave me a code "12" which relates to the Mass Air Flow sensor. I removed, cleaned it very well, replaced and it has been driving fine ever since. When my problem was occuring, the motor did not register hot, but "seemed" hotter than normal. We did a lot of dusty riding that day and that may have dirtied this sensor. It's driving good today and will keep fingers crossed it won't happen anymore. Thanks to all the responses. If it happens again, I will definitely take y'alls advice.

I'll bet it wasn't the cleaning that fixed it (no harm though), it was moving the wires/disconnecting/reconnecting it. That wiring, amongst others, can be problematic after it ages. If you have that issue again, just try moving the wiring/connector while it is running first.

Good job on checking the codes and dealing with the problem. :aok:

B

You may be right. I am learning fast that if something goes wrong on this vehicle, it is more than likely electrical related. I have learned a lot since I've owned it, usually from this forum. Thanks for your help very much.

My problem happened again this morning. My wife reminded me that something similar happened years ago when she owned a 1992 Nissan Stanza. As you are accelerating or when you are just driving a normal speeds, there is loss of power. The more gas you give it, the less it goes (for lack of better terminology). It's like you are revving the motor in neutral for a few seconds but the vehicle is still in drive. RPM's go up, car slows down. This morning, it only happened about three times over a 15 mile drive. I have checked transmission fluid, all is good. Changed the oil about a month ago. Have not ventured much further since it seemed to be driving over the last several days fine. Question: so, you can check codes on the transmission "brain" also? "Precise1" mentioned this earlier in this thread.

^This!

My problem happened again this morning. My wife reminded me that something similar happened years ago when she owned a 1992 Nissan Stanza. As you are accelerating or when you are just driving a normal speeds, there is loss of power. The more gas you give it, the less it goes (for lack of better terminology). It's like you are revving the motor in neutral for a few seconds but the vehicle is still in drive. RPM's go up, car slows down. This morning, it only happened about three times over a 15 mile drive. I have checked transmission fluid, all is good. Changed the oil about a month ago. Have not ventured much further since it seemed to be driving over the last several days fine. Question: so, you can check codes on the transmission "brain" also? "Precise1" mentioned this earlier in this thread.

Download the FSM from the pinned thread in the Garage section if you haven't done so already, then open the AT file and go to page 12 or so. It gets real about page 19, but just gloss it all, it can't hurt.

Did you wiggle any wires?

B