High strength timing belt

PeteyPathy

For those with VG30 engine or drive train mods, Gates Racing T251RB is a Kevlar belt 300% stronger than stock. I found this after I shattered an engine because my 2 month old stock timing belt popped under stress.

Hope you guys find it helpful.

I don't understand popping under "stress." Tensioned properly, spinning 7-8k isn't an issue at all. There are lemons and drift Z31s spinning high revs all day without issue.

• Like 1

I know a particular VG 510 builder that would rev his up to 8,000, granted it didn't make any power after 7, but he did so frequently. Because racecar.

Sounds like an error in installation. Nissan isn't going to produce a belt that's going to cause a bunch of head aches from breakage.

Good info to have. :aok:

• UPC: 770075472087
  • Length (In): 71.812 Inch
  • Number Of Teeth: 228
  • Width (In): 1.250 Inch

What I find strange is that in their application PDF they list round and square toothed sprockets for both 1993 and 1994 when I'm pretty sure only 1993 had both types, and that they list a change interval for the round tooth type of 60k while the factory recommendation is 105k (one of the reasons to have a later model year or do a pulley swap). Also, they show a 60k change interval for 1996 and a 105k interval for 1997-1998 even though both are round toothed and the belt number is the same.

Luckily, we know better...

B

Yea that is so weird. The belt for all round tooth vg's is the same. Someone gave me a belt they bought for their 97 r50, and I ended up installing it on my friends 2003 Xterra....FWIW the tensioner is the same too.

Lol had nothing to do with tension.

What i did was install alum flywheel and stage 2 racing clutch. Was getting on interstate on afternoon gouging on it 5200 rpm speed shift and dump clutch from 5200 to 3800 in .002 sec. Crank slowed down timing belt went POW! wasn't strong enough to take the stress I put it under.

I learned a valuable lesson.... Screw RPMs its hard shifts that stress timing belt the most.

That was not the "weak" belt's fault man. Something else was wrong in that equation or a fluke thing. Stock belts go through 10x that abuse on the daily. I've done 3.5k to well over 8k instantly a few times myself.

I had done many many FAST rpm changes in my old car. The counter shaft bearings in the transmission failed before the timing belt.

My old S12 I lived the "never lift" motto once it had a five speed ;) Nothing like a 1st to 2nd shift with the throttle pinned, quick stab of the clutch pedal, trans making a satisfying crunch, and barking the tires. 10,000 miles of that abuse and the transmission gave me a big middle finger.

So, seriously, it wasn't the belt.

Hydrolock takes a motor from whatever speed it's at to no speed fairly quickly, and of all the "drowned my Pathy" threads I've seen on here, I can't remember anyone complaining that their timing belt failed too.

The sudden stress of shifting might've finished the belt off, but it does sound like it had a pre-existing condition.

@Kingman no other factors, no fluke. Not "weak" belt simply put more stress on perfectly good stock belt than it could handle. 3.5k-8k is natural upward progression. 5k-3.5k is forced immediately downward you're comparing apples and oranges.

@silverton I hot shifted the dog crap out of that car with no problem UNTIL I put stage 2 racing clutch and alum flywheel in. Then i broke 2 timing belts in 5 months. Both failed when i was hotdogging it's not coincidence. Did your s12 have clutch good for 700ft/lb and alum flywheel in it? On stock set up clutch will slip just enough to spare timing belt. Aluminum flywheel reduced inertial weight of crank by 16lb (stock 18lb/alum 2lb) greatly increases speed with which engine can change RPMs.

You have a TWO pound flywheel? That's got to be next to undriveable! It's a truck, not a race car, put a real flywheel in it :P

I did have a lightened flywheel in my S12, 14-16lb if I remember right, and a Z31-Turbo OEM clutch.

I am with slartibartfast though. There are several engines here that have gone from high RPM to 0 from inexperienced water crossers. Bent valves, broken cranks, etc, but never a failed belt.

Ok, this section is for parts info not a discussion on who beats on their vehicle the hardest or is the most erratic driver.

Everyone has had their say, so let it be now.

B

Us crazy kids just trying to get to the bottom of an unbelievably broken OEM timing belt from too rapid of an RPM change, essentially trying to talk someone out of buying something they don't need that is possibly much more expensive.

But back on topic folks, else we gets the whip again.

Where could one locate such an incredible timing belt if they were so inclined?

• Like 1

Most anywhere that sells these types of things I'd imagine. Just google Gates T251RB i located a number of online dealers, and my local parts house can order one in.

Edited by PeteyPathy
  • Like 1