Tranny Issues.....

ebayfish

I've got a '95 pathy 4wd auto with 180k that I've owned for 3 months & I'm dealing with the dreaded transmission issues. I was driving down the road the other day & my pathy seemed to develop what I perceived as a small miss at around 45 with OD on. As I was accelerating on to the interstate, I had almost a complete loss of power. I pulled over on the on-ramp & reversed back down to turn around at the first filling station. I gingerly drove home, six miles, with no issues at low RPM. I went to park it at the house, no reverse! After checking the fluid, I found it was an inch or so high on dipstick. It was pinkish-brown with no "frothy residue". The fluid was lukewarm, and doesn't smell burnt or have particles in it. The next day, fearing the worst I checked the codes, only registering an EGR function code.I tried putting it in reverse....and it worked, no problem! I wondered if my factory cooler was stopped up, so I bought a 18gvw remote cooler. When I removed the lines, absolutely no fluid came out of the stock cooler, only some from the lines. If this were clogged, would this not allow enough pressure to kick it into reverse? I also plan to change my tranny filter & replace the fluid in the pan with Valvoline Max Life Dex. Should I worry about the solenoids? I'm trying to do what I can as to not drop the tranny, let me know what else I should do.

When I installed my aux tranny cooler nothing seemed to come out of the stock cooler either and tranny was working fine before I did the work. I have a very slight harmonic vibration at no load, barely enough too feel though the pedal but I am attributing this to the torque converter. When I pull the tranny I am installing an Xterra tranny to help avoid the "autotragic" problems... I cant tell you for sure but pumping the old fluid out and replacing the filter cant hurt.

Putting in a tranny cooler, bypassing or unclogging the stock cooler and changing the fluid would be where I would start, some people have had success with that. I personally argue to also install an inline filter and a temp gauge so you can trap particulate and monitor running conditions.

Welcome to NPORA BTW.

B

As per others on this site (I personally have not swapped one), the 01 and 02 (possibly others) Xterra trannys are a direct swap, connectors and all. One at my pick and pull right now for 99 dollars but I am sure by the time I get around to this project it will be gone, but others will come along I am sure.

SkiBum, I was looking into an xterra tranny. Will these bolt up? all electronics fit?? If I have to replace, I'm all about an upgrade.

I member on here just did that swap, seemed easy enough but I don't know where the thread is off the top of my head, just search it up, or he might even comment on here.

There are a couple of threads that break down exactly which year and model trannys are the desirable 'heavy duty' versions, and even what is different about them. All bolt right up but I thought with a couple you wanted the computer as well. I don't know the info, off hand, but it can be looked up quite easily. Learn to use the 'advanced' search and it will be very helpful.

B

I did the Xterra trans swap. I used one from a 2002. the 2001-2004 are apparently the HD ones. The supercharged are even more strong but you need the flexplate from the engine with the SC. The sub harness from the wd21 snaps right in, all you really need is some rubber hose for the vent lines. I didn't because the place I bought mine from gave me everything. I paid about 500 for my trans and transfer case. I got a low mileage one that was pulled for me with a warranty. The transfer case is the same as well. The shifter may be different in height but I have a body lift so it actually worked better for me.

As for your original question. Try some lucas trans fix. It may work, it may not but couldn't hurt.

Ok, so I dropped my tranny oil pan (Much bigger job than I ever expected), drained all the fluid, replaced the filter & topped off with 5 qts. Valvoline Max Life Full Synthetic & 1 qt. Lucas stop slip in addition to installing an aftermarket cooler. I started it up & everything seemed to shift fine. I drove the pathy about 2 miles & stopped in a parking lot only to find reverse once again wasn't engaging. I drove it back home (2 miles) went to park it & tried one more time.....reverse works again. I then shifted several times reverse, neutral, drive & back. all gears were engaging as they should. I then put it into reverse & gave it throttle with the brake on as to try to make it slip, which it never did. It only pushed through the brakes, and started smoking the tires in reverse. I'm kinda at a loss, could a valve be be getting stuck & freed? Do the solenoids go out intermittently? You guys are great & I appreciate any help!

My old pathy used to do that. Reverse, when it worked, never slipped ever. But there were many a time where I would go to back into a parking space and throw it in reverse, and have the tires chirp as it slammed in. When reverse doesn't work, try just leaving it in R and see if it engages eventually. Sounds like you have something sticking. I used seafoam trans tune and it made mine a lot better. Downside is you'll have to drain all that fluid again.

Thanks, Adam! Luckily I do have have a drain plug on my pan if I have to go that route. I hope to never have to drop that pan again (dropping exhaust & tranny mounts)

Whoa, you don't have to do that much! You can just drop the pan by itself, use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet for the bolts by the trans mount. As for the exhaust, I unbolted it from the passenger side manifold and pulled it down. Or you can remove some tube once you unbolt the pan.

My little 10mm 1/4 drive socket wouldn't fit between the mount & pan. Then I removed the section or exhaust from the collector flange at the exhaust manifold down to the Y. Not a bad job, just frustrating when your working on your back & you realize someone has "borrowed" your metric gear wrenches..

• 4 weeks later...

Aliright, I've found 3 decent looking junk yard trannys all on wrecked pathfinders (not x-terra). All 4wd 6 cl with transfer case, with similar mileage. I found an '01 or '02 for $250 or an '04 for $400. Are there any pros or cons these trannys? Besides the torque converter are there any other parts that I will need to scavenge from these? Once again, I'm mating it up to a '95 3.0. Thanks for all y'alls input, I love this site!

All 4wd 6 cl with transfer case, with similar mileage. I found an '01 or '02 for $250 or an '04 for $400.

Pathfinders from 2001 to 2004 had the VQ35 motor, and I'm pretty sure they bolt up differently, meaning a different tranny or at least bell housing. I don't believe those will work, but someone else verify this.

AFAIK you need a tranny off of a VG30 or VG33, found in Pathfinders, Frontiers and Xterras.

B

Sorry keep asking, but I want to be sure. I found a wrecked 2000 xterra with a 3.3 auto 4wd. Any reason why I shouldn't go with this tranny?

Make sure you find out the mileage and get a fair price. I was able to find a low miles (140k km) one for 500 including the transfer case. I would just change the t-case and trans as a unit. The Xterra t-case is the same as the wd21 one. Shifter length might be different but I have a body lift so it actually worked out in my favor.

Thanks guys! I can't find much info on the swap elsewhere. I'm amazed how hard its been to find this exact unit. I've walked over a dozen junk yards looking. This one has just under 100k miles & they are asking 600 pulled.

Thanks guys! I can't find much info on the swap elsewhere. I'm amazed how hard its been to find this exact unit. I've walked over a dozen junk yards looking. This one has just under 100k miles & they are asking 600 pulled.