Couple things wrong with my '92 pathfinder

s.tiernay7

Ok... so first off i bought a 1992 pathfinder with 189k off a guy on craigslist for 800$.It needed a new muffler and brake pads were very low. So my friend changed the brake pads on all 4 wheels. and changed one rotor on the driver side front because it was damaged... now it is starting to squeal but not all the time. it only seems it does it after driving it for 20 minutes or so. Any thoughts on a cheap fix? and as well the transmission started to jump a little bit after i got the transmission fluid flushed but its not bad at all... would a transmission cooler be a good option... or perhaps its because they never changed the filter? Overall though for a 800 dollar vehicle(but ive put in like 500 bucks so far) Its awesome.. a perfect off road vehicle

I know I'm probably going to get raged on for this, but you should replace rotors in pairs. Anyway, did you make sure you lubed where the pads slide on the caliper housing? Also what pads did you use? Some just make more noise than others. Mine do pretty much the same thing right now, pisses me off lol.

Cheap fix for the squealing noise on new brake pads is lube on the pad, not the friction side, but the side the piston squeezes on it, duh lol... also, you don't necessarily have to do rotors in pairs, but from my experience with my pathy, a rotor that's been damaged and the other side is fine means an issue with the caliper... you may want to look into rebuilding it which is fairly straight forward and cheaper than buying a new or rebuilt one... had to change all 4 corners, 1 rotor and 1 caliper due to damage beyond repair... front rotors are a bitch to replace with the auto locking hubs...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used rayspestas or something. and ok. i wasnt that clear on the fact that it doesnt squeal when i brake... its only when im driving... if u press on the brake a bit it stops. and as i say it doesnt do it all the time

First off, I always service rotors/drums as a match pair per axle whether it's resurface or replace, brakes ain't an area you do 1/2 the job and go 'meh, close enough'. The name on the box don't mean anything either if it's a low grade semi-metallic line that has a lot of metallic in them, they will squeal fresh out of the box. (Pulling the pads and a scuff with some heavier grit sandpaper can sometimes remidy this). I'm a firm believer in cleaning correctly/lubing correctly the friction areas as well. Were the pins the calipers slide on pulled/cleaned/lubed/free? How about where the pads slide in the brackets? (Not a fan of lubing where the pad/caliper meet, from experience and personal experiments all I noticed it to change was more brake dust on the corner it was done to and maby 1/32 max of quicker wear through the life of experimental sets on the side it was done to. Not enough to completely condemn doing it but enough to keep me from wasting lube doing so). Was the warning chirper (if applicable) on one of the pads bent during installation or out of the box? It can happen, believe me it can definitely happen.