Push out stereo from dash

maaakaaa

I'm moving a stereo from my old Passport into my Pathfinder. Considering the stereo location way down low, I'd like to move it out maybe an inch to make it easier to reach. Have any of you done this and how? Has it been in the way there? It looks like it should still give the stick shift plenty of room.

Thanks! I'm enjoying getting to know my new rig.

In order to do that, you'll have to make/find some sort of collar that will fit into the stereo slot. Go to your local diy shop and have a look around for a rectangular bracket you can put in there but make sure it is tight. You don't want that thing to go flying out if there's an emergency stop.

Actually, even being low, a 'din' aftermarket stereo pushed in to the stock location isn't too far out of reach... I have a Kenwood unit, slid back and it looks like it belongs there... spacing it out, not sure how it would look but if that's something you really are set on doing, then you should be good spacing it out about an inch... with an auto, you have close to 3 or 4 inches of play without interfering with the gear shift... with a manual, probably just a little less... before making a permanent solution, test it out... and making a spacer is fairly easy using mdf or maybe a metal frame unless you're good with fabricating a plastic spacer... good luck

I would use plastic or something metal. Please don't use wood cause it will look s**t

If done right, the mdf would only be a frame with fiberglass giving you the finished look... I only suggested the mdf because it's easier to obtain and work with if you're not familiar with working with metal or plastic

Oh true if you finished it off with fibreglass and sanded it smooth, bit of paint, yeah that works. But I wouldn't just slap bare wood in there that's red neck style. I'm just saying if you're gonna do something do it right the first time. After all, you are the one who is going to have to look at the job you've created and if it looks good then you are going feel good as a result.

• Like 1

Look to see if you can cannibalize a mounting kit from both your car and one from a mid 90's Chevy s-10. Because delco radios were so shallow, the install kits for aftermarket radios pushed the radio out about 3/4"

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I am definitely more able to work with wood than do metal or plastic fab (no skills or knowledge there), but didn't know how to not make it look ugly. Even just painted might look funny. Fiberglass coating is a good idea--I've never done anything with it, but I'm not afraid to learn something! What would I need to get to do that?

Before you go ahead and try this, maybe mock it up in the normal position and see how it is to reach. I'm ~6'4" (seat moved back as far as it'll go) and I have no trouble reaching mine.

If you do decide to pull it out an inch, I imagine it could be pretty simple to do, depending on the design of your radio. I don't know what unit you're working with, but if I was going to do this with my Xplod, I'd start by pulling the dash apart until I could get at the brackets. Figure out where they need to sit on the case, then drill/tap/solder/whatever to mount the unit in that position. Then put the dash back together, put the faceplate on, and make sure the radio ended up where you want it. Then just take the trim plate (rectangular sort of frame that hides the crack around the head unit) and extend it so it'll cover the radio case all the way back to the dash. Sheet plastic would be my first choice if I had some at hand, but MDF or sheet metal or something would do just as well, especially with a little Bondo and some spray paint. Slip that around the radio and there you have it.

Or you could just spray-bomb the radio case flat black so it doesn't draw attention to itself, mount it sticking out, and leave it at that.