Most Comfortable Shocks?

enkrypt3d

I've been trying to find the original Old Man Emu nitro shocks but it seems they have been discontinued! :(

They are being replaced with the OME Sports which I've heard are stiffer and feel about the same as my rancho 5000's ......

I've contacted every supplier I know of to try and find some original OME's but it seems they are gone! Anyone have any ideas? I drive my truck on really bad pavement and tired of being shaken out of my seat..... Thanks!

I had the Pro-Comp ES3000 shocks on my first WD21 and thought they were perfect up front but a little stiff in the rear unladen, so perhaps the ES1000 in the rear?

The other option would be the Rancho XLS9000 adjustable, so at least you can tune them somewhat to your preference.

Air shocks might do it for you as well, but they tend to be quite pricey...

B

Cool since I cant find the OME shocks I was looking at these:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/4-5100-Series-Shocks-For-Most-Lifted-Trucks-with-Black-Shock-Boots.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=S%2fDShockingBIL5100

Anyone know if these are comfortable? I plan on adding a mild lift eventually and I think these will accommodate that right? as well as have good ride quality!

Those bilsteins would be fantastic. I have the 4600s and they ride like a dream, 5100s are a beefier version, and coupled with the right spring rate have enough dampening for prerunner duty, while still having a smooth ride. Buy them and you won't be sorry, I put bilsteins above all others for Pathfinder applications.

Edited by Karmann

So do the 5100's for the pathfinder have this leveling feature? or is that only for specific models? Obviously the shocks wont give any lift but I bought new torsion bars with 30% increased spring rates which can hopefully give me an inch or 2 of lift in the front and ordered rear springs that should give about 1" of lift.......

remember if you put in lift springs the shocks need to be longer than stock. so you get enough down travel. that was my mistake with the KYBs. it road on the street ok but I could feel it in tight corners and while off road...the new longer shocks have solved the problem.

Yes the 5100's should accommodate a mild lift right?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/4-5100-Series-Shocks-For-Most-Lifted-Trucks-with-Black-Shock-Boots.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=S%2fDShockingBIL5100

5100 Series Shocks For Most Lifted Trucks with Black Shock Boots

I think the adjustableness of the ranchos refer to the damping (how stiff or soft they are) not the length.

the length is measured eye to eye at full extension.

Yes, the Ranchos have adjustable damping.

The length never changes on any shock, you will need shocks for you application, whether its lifted or stock height.

Yes I have JRZ RS Pro's on my NSX so I'm very familiar with how they work.... its just that there are so many "Bilstein 5100's" its hard to tell if compression / rebound is adjustable.........

Edited by enkrypt3d

I really wish websites would stop saying parts fit my truck and then they contact me saying it doesn't......

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/pathfinder-5100-series-bilstein-rear-shock-p-6937.html

4x4parts.com seems to have this shock but obviously they are closed now...... anyone have any ideas or part numbers I can use? Thanks

Contacted Bilstein as the 4600's are on a nation wide back order so I dont have much of a choice to go with the 5100's. Here are the part numbers for those that have the WD21's:

Bilstein 5100 Front: PN 33-230405 Shock Length 16.4”

(Nissan OEM Front Shock length 13.6”)

Bilstein 5100 Rears: 33-230320 Shock Length 24.5”

(Nissan OEM Rear Shock Length: 22.85”)

Hoping they wont be as stiff as my Ranchos!

• 9 months later...

I put bilstein 4600 shocks on my 91 se, and the difference is amazing! I also did the jgc rear springs at the same time, and can happily report that the bilsteins are perfectly okay with 1.5-2" extra lift.

I've had rancho rs9000 in the past, and they are good, but they can be a pain to adjust and most people just set them and leave them alone. The bilsteins were perfect right out of the box.

I think any monotube shock will perform better than a twin-tube design.