pre-facelift low fuel light

So I've searched about the low fuel light, and I've found that each pathfinder seems to be a bit different when it comes to where the light comes on, but I just wanted to check to be sure that pre-facelift pathy's have a low fuel light. In three and a half years, i've never had the light come on (there is a little dot near the E, that I assume is the low fuel light). The most I've put into the tank was 73 liters, and at that point that gauge was well past E, but still no light.

I'm wondering if there is a way to tell if the bulb is burnt out, or if I just have to run the thing till I am out of gas :blush02:

If the bulb is burnt out, is it replaceable? Is there a fuse that might be responsible?

Looks like Nissan made a few changes to the gauge cluster, from what i'm use to looking at.

If this is what you have, then i can only assume, that the little light is the low fuel light you are talking about...

cfd27136-0914-102f-bffb-bccabd56764e.jpg

I was going to say that, Yes, the fuel light is changeable, but i only have the 1997 junk one next to me, and the 1996 in my rig as reference. Which, judging by the photo i posted, are very different from your cluster.

only way to know is to pull out the cluster and see if they bulb is burnt out. Although i seriously doubt it is...You could just load a 3-4 gallon container in the back and intentionally run out of gas.

I did take a look at the 1999 Pathfinder owners manual, and it confirms that the warning light moved to where you thought it was for the 1999 year, and that when it turns on, "a small reserve amount will be used". I've been told that almost all Japanese cars have a 3 gallon "reserve" or when the warning light turns on. Don't know how true that is, but from personal experience (Running out of gas, waiting at Costco TO GET GAS) that seems to line up with our cars.

-Kyle

-KYle

Thanks for the reply. That is the exact gauge cluster I have in my pathfinder. I've just assumed that the little circular indent just to the left of the E is the low fuel light, and when I looked online, it seemed to back that up.
The 3 gallon reserve is interesting, because on my last tank of gas I put in a hair over 73 litres, so there was roughly 7 litres (1.85 gallons) left in the tank. The fuel light didn't come on at all. Things like that make me really think the light might be burnt out, but then it also seems like my gas gauge is really wonky. If I fill up right when it first gets to E, I still have almost a quarter of a tank left.

My original plan was to just go for it and purposely run out of fuel to confirm for sure that the light wasn't working, but then I read that the fuel pump in r50 Pathfinders is submerged in fuel for cooling, and running low on gas could overheat the pump (?), which made me bail on that plan.

When the light comes on (or any other light on the dash for that matter) is it supposed to chime? I've never heard a chime for anything on my Pathfinder, and I also don't think I've ever seen a seatbelt light or warning... Is that normal, or do I have a blown fuse or something?