How to replace your leaking oil cooler o-ring

5523Pathfinder

Ok, as they title states, we are going to take care of a very common oil leak on 4.0l and 3.5l engines. This is a fairly easy repair and with some basic tools, should only take about a hour or so. I recommend ding this when you need to change your oil, as you can take out two birds with one stone.

Parts needed- Oil Cooler o-ring and oil filter(new oil as well).

I am using a 06 pathfinder with the off-road package as our patient. Here is our oil leak that just won't go away...

IMG_0352_zpse402dba3.jpg

First, gather some tools...

IMG_3464_zps97460aad.jpg

This includes at 22mm socket, ratchet, torque wrench, 10mm socket and ratchet(or electric gun as I have shown), oil filter wrench(or whatever you use to remove the filter with),some rags, brake clean(or equivalent) and a flashlight to help you see. A catch pan is also a good idea as well as a small pick or flat screwdriver.

First, removed the lower part of the front facia.

IMG_5423_zps3b244cce.jpg

Remove 5 10mm bolts and pull down and set aside.

Next, remove the 10mm bolts holding the splash shield in place..

IMG_1829_zpsc9d3dc39.jpg

(quick tip- you don't have to remove the two rear bolts all the way, just loosen and slide the shield forward, then drop it down. This will also help hold it in place when you put it back in)

You can also remove the oil pan skid if you want...

IMG_1197_zps9600589b.jpg

(You will need a 12mm socket to remove those bolts). I left it in and just cleaned the oil up afterwards. You could stuff a few rags up there to catch the oil also.

Remove your oil filter. Oil will drain down and your going to want to catch it or it will make a nice mess. Grab your ratchet and 22mm socket and remove the through-bolt hold the oil cooler in place..

IMG_8483_zpsff9dc2c0.jpg

I have a small extension on my socket to get a better angle.

Now that the bolt is removed, twist the cooler toward you and remove the orange o-ring that is leaking. Here is what it looks like...

IMG_1975_zpseeff3c8a.jpg

Grab your new oil cooler o-ring and press it into the cooler with your fingers, making sure it's flat and not sticking out..

IMG_0340_zps6e0587c4.jpg

Edited by 5523Pathfinder
  • Like 1

Now to put it back together. Set the cooler back in place and put the bolt through it and tighten it by hand. Then, grab a torque wrench and tighten it to 36 foot pounds...

IMG_4048_zps510dbb94.jpg

IMG_0421_zps532ad5a2.jpg

Install your new oil filter and clean the area with brake clean(or equivalent) and rags as needed..

IMG_6532_zps436cca8c.jpg

You can now install your splash shields and a drain your oil. Start it up after filling with new oil and double check to make sure you have no other leaks!

Hope this helps someone out there!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

• 3 weeks later...

Good write up!

I would add....

If you do not rough handle the oil filter when changing the oil your seal will last longer. You should also check the bolt/stud to make sure it is properly tight when you do an oil change.

Both will give you more life from this seal.